Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Resolved Question

? re: Security Warning Box

by zeebell / September 3, 2011 10:10 AM PDT

Dell Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E7500 Computer Inspirion 545s 00 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 6GB Memory 750GB Hard Drive

I visit www.Fotki.com very regularly. A couple of days ago, I began getting a Security Warning box popup that ways "Do you want to view only the webpage content that was delivered security?" Yes or No

If I check yes, I do get a log in page and it says DONE, Error on page, but I can log in to the site. If I check No, I get the same thing, but no error on page, just DONE in the status bar.

This is a pain to click this each time I visit the site and had never had to do that until 2 evenings ago. Is there a way to get it so that box will not pop up each time I go there?

Thanks for any help.

Julea

zeebell has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ? re: Security Warning Box
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ? re: Security Warning Box
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by zeebell

Collapse -
Change mixed content setting
by rhabdomantist / September 4, 2011 1:12 AM PDT

Go to Internet Options>Security tab, click on Custom level button, scroll down to Miscellaneous section and change Display mixed content from Prompt to Enable then click OK and OK again.
Hope this is helpful.

Collapse -
Change mixed content setting
by zeebell / September 4, 2011 5:49 AM PDT

My goodness -- it worked -- you're like magic. How did that happen where it "evidently" became changed?

I'm gussing it was enable before and somehow got changed, but who knows. Now, next question -- does this compromise security in any way?

It does work exactly how it did up until a couple of days ago, so I'm guessing it will not affect the security end of it other than to let me go there "smoothly."

Thanks for your help on this because it was relaly sort of driving my nuts and was a PITA (LOLOL).

Julea

Collapse -
Answer
Mixed Content
by Carol~ Moderator / September 4, 2011 7:51 AM PDT

Hi Julea..

Long time.. no see. Happy

I was just about to post, when I saw your recent reply. I was going to post in regard to your students, if you're still teaching a computer class. I don't know if you still are. If so.....

For the "newer students" who lack confidence in the sites they visit, I'm not sure if turning off the mixed content warning prompt, is the safest thing to do. Although, this blogger may have a point when he says, "The IE 8 mixed content dialog is pointless because 99.9% of web users just want it to go away and let them get on with what they were doing." Read some of the below and see what you think.

This site explains it briefly, while "Protecting Consumers from Malicious Mixed Content" goes into more detail.

Want some more confusion? Happy Here ya go: Handling Mixed (HTTPS/HTTPS) Content"

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Hi Carol
by zeebell / September 4, 2011 8:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Mixed Content

Thanks for replying, and yes, long time no see. Good to see you now though and I appreciate your input. I'm not helping teach like I used to because of hearing and eye situations; however, I'm still mentoring at times, and am still working the bi-monthly open house help clinics the club sponsors. I just don't do too well in a classroom environment with not being able to hear, and then must have my nose int he comnputer to see (LOL). Not quite that bad, but, sometimes you do what you have to do.

I do wonder why for almost 2 years I've never had that prompt when going to Fotki and then all of a sudden I do, so yes, I was glad to get it outta my face. Avast is very good about catching malicious websites. Fortunatley I don't navigate to many of those, but when searching for fonts, I've had it pop up a couple of times warning me it's not a good place. I heed the warning and am glad I have Avast (free).

So, I'm still involved in the club quite a bit and even was rewarded with my name going up on a plaque the club has for "volunteerism." Can't keep a computer junkie down!! I will take a look at the info you provided. Again, it was good to see you and hope things are good in your world. They are mine, and I'm looking forward to fall after a long hot summer.

Collapse -
hmmmm, Maybe even for me ----
by zeebell / September 4, 2011 9:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Mixed Content

I should leave it where it was before. Maybe something changed at Fotki to make it show up now, who knows -- or something slipped on my computer to change the checkmark -- I do know pc's can slip a cog at times -- very unknowingly to the user of that pc (LOL). Anyway, I did put the checkmark back in and will see if I can handle it as it was really getting on my nerves. Better be safe than sorry however.

Take care --

Julea

Collapse -
It could be the site..
by Carol~ Moderator / September 4, 2011 10:22 AM PDT

Julea..

I should have mentioned it before. It could very well be the site. While looking for a site which might (succinctly) explain mixed content, I stumbled upon this site.

Personally, I think you should be okay if you change it. But that's up to you, and whatever you feel comfortable with.

I'm not far behind you with my eyes. In my case, I think a lot has to do with "staring at a screen" all day. It's amazing how much clearer I can see on the weekends, when my eyes have had a rest! Did I mention my back? Grin

And speaking of the weekend (what's left of it) and rest .. I'm off to do just that! Happy

Keep up the good work...
Carol

Collapse -
Thanks Carol
by zeebell / September 4, 2011 11:01 AM PDT
In reply to: It could be the site..

I think we can consider this post resolved. I thought it might be the site, as I've been going there for years (LOL). I do appreciate all you've shared with me though and hte links. Oh, my aching back -- I can relate! Take care and maybe I'll see you again sometime. I rarely have pc issues, but when I do, I know where to come!!

Julea

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?