Computer Help forum

General discussion

RE: Opening a rfc file

by nomadd74 / April 8, 2006 4:22 PM PDT

I have received a fun email from a person that I know, but cannot open same. What do I need on my XP to open this type of folder ?
The attachment is message_rfc822.msg

The actual title of the fun mail is
'Your Age By Chocolate '
The sender sent this message.
Amazingly this works! Now you mathematicians out there on the internet
ether, tell me how is it done?
Cheers,
Sue

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: RE: Opening a rfc file
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: RE: Opening a rfc file
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I would not open the message, PERIOD!
by Gakada / April 8, 2006 5:20 PM PDT
In reply to: RE: Opening a rfc file

Ask your friend to send the actual file..

then scanned it with your anti virus etc. before opening it.

Collapse -
Assuming that you...
by Edward ODaniel / April 9, 2006 2:56 AM PDT

have correctly identified the name of the attachment ( message_rfc822.msg ) that would tend to indicate that your friend uses Outlook and sent another email as an attachment.

If you have Outlook you can double click the message_rfc822.msg attachment to read it. IF it includes an attachment you should scan that attachment before opening it.

BEFORE OPENING the message_rfc822.msg you should take a few minutes to verify that your friend did indeed send you the email.

You could also simply save it to your hard drive and open it with Notepad or WordPad or another TEXT EDITOR. If it is not all text (and it will not be) there will be a lot of strange looking characters that don't make much sense but scrolling down will get you to the body text of the actual message which is quite readable and should it contain a virus this will not activate it as a text message opened in a text editor is not executable.

Collapse -
opening an rfc file
by nomadd74 / April 10, 2006 3:28 PM PDT

To Edward O 'Daniel
Thank you for your information. I have tried copying and pasting the attach: to wordpad and it worked.
My friend uses Outlook Express, the same as myself.
However, why do I need to go to all this bother to open this attach: Why cannot I open it at once like most other attach: and like most people can ?

Collapse -
I don't think anyone can open .RFC file..
by Gakada / April 10, 2006 5:13 PM PDT
In reply to: opening an rfc file

as easily .. if indeed that is a .rfc document..

But if that is ''something_rfc1234.msg'' .. then you just double click the file .. it will open in your outlook/outlook express..

Scan it first...

Collapse -
That isn't an rfc file, it is...
by Edward ODaniel / April 11, 2006 6:29 AM PDT
In reply to: opening an rfc file

a msg file which is most likely an Outlook file.

You can open it in Outlook Express IF you rename it by changing the .msg file extension to .eml although it will still end up looking much as it did in WordPad/Notepad although any hyperlinks will work again.

If you don't happen to have the application a filetype is associated with installed on your computer you (or anyone else) will encounter these file incompatability issues.

Collapse -
rfc file
by nomadd74 / April 11, 2006 12:30 PM PDT

Thank you Edward O'Daniel.
In regard to your last comment as follows:
"If you don't happen to have the application a filetype is associated with installed on your computer you (or anyone else) will encounter these file incompatability issues."

Why can't I download a program that will carry this out and solve this problem ? If this is correct. Which program do I download ?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) There is no such thing as RFC file.. look again..
by Gakada / April 11, 2006 4:57 PM PDT
In reply to: rfc file
Collapse -
Once more...
by Edward ODaniel / April 12, 2006 3:19 AM PDT
In reply to: rfc file

There was no "rfc file" to open. In your own words it was a .msg file (a filetype associated with Microsoft Outlook and probably a few other email clients but NOT Outlook Express which is associated with the .eml filetype). In your first post you stated -
The attachment is message_rfc822.msg

That .msg file extension denoted the filetype.

RFC 822 is the ARPA standard for the format of Internet text messaging which replaced RFC 733 (the RFC acronym simply means Request for Comment for a proposed standard). Here is a link where you can see it exposed as a binary encoded MIME Content-Type: message/rfc822; name="message_rfc822.msg" :
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:dwSzmMdeA-8J:www.axs4u.net/home/aimee/mail/sent-mail-nov-2002+The+attachment+is+message_rfc822.msg&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=2 (scroll down the page and you should see the rfc822 highlighted in blue - keep scrolling and you can see how an internet mail message looks including the MIME encoded GIF images (which you can decode back into pictures with Winzip, Aladdin Expander, or Munpack (the MIME unpacker included with the command line MIME tools in mpack15d.zip (free and available at http://shareware.pcmag.com/product.php%5Bid%5D43210%5Bcid%5D59%5BSiteID%5Dpcmag among other places)

This link tells you more than you want to know about RFC 822 - http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc0822.txt

Now, to answer your question "Why can't I download a program that will carry this out and solve this problem ? If this is correct. Which program do I download ?"

I have provided you a link here ( http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=MSG ) with a pretty decent list of email clients that handle the msg filetype and there aren't many. You can't download Outlook but you could purchase it. You can download TheBat ( http://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/thebat/features.php ) an email client that handles the .msf format.

Before asking why something else won't open a .msg file think about why you can't draw pictures using notepad or open picture files using a text editor--the filetypes are different and incompatible.

Tell your friend to just FORWARD the message she initially received to you rather than sending it as an attachment.

Collapse -
Here is what the message was probably about...
by ChuckT / April 12, 2006 6:46 AM PDT

Others have already explained what your file is, that it is not an ''RFC'' (Request For Comment - a sort of pre-name for pseudo-standard file types - but that doesn't matter) but it is a ''MSG'' file (the last portion of the file name after the last period). That MSG is an encompassed mail message within your mail message.

And you should be able to double-click the MSG file to open it within your Outlook. But I would be cautious about opening any enclosed attachments in mail messages.

INSTEAD, just Google ''Your Age By Chocolate'' and you will find a LOT of websites that tell you what the 'math trick' is about.
Here it is, for your reading pleasure:

---------------------
1. Pick the number of times a week that you would like to have chocolate.
(More than once but less than 10)

2. Multiply this number by 2

3. Add 5

4. Multiply it by 50

5. If you have already had your birthday, this year, add 1755.
If you haven't, add 1754

6. Now subtract the four digit year that you were born.
You should have a three digit number.

The first digit of this was your original number (i.e., how many times you want to have chocolate each week).

The next two numbers are?..YOUR AGE! (Oh YES, it is!!!!!)

THIS IS THE ONLY YEAR (2005) IT WILL EVER WORK
-----------------

Now, a comment from me. There is no real 'magic' to this. It is simple math where you take any single digit and shift it up to the 'hundreds position' and use simple math to subtract this year from the year you were born to arrive at your age in the last two digit positions. Big deal.

The bit about this being the "only year" this is going to work. Well duh, next year you just modify the addtition of the 17xx value by one and that will be the "only year" that will work! yada yada yada.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.