General discussion

re: Netgear Problems with router/adapater

I am trying to share a wireless network at home. I have 2 computers - one is Pentium 4 2.2 gHz and the other is an athlon 500.

Regardless, I purchased a Netgear wireless router and a wireless PCI adapter card. I have installed the router and the card on the computer with the DSL modem and the satellite PC. However, I seem to be getting it an error message saying that "The system has detected a conflict for IP Address 192.168.1.3 with the system having hardware address.....". (Although at this time I am not getting it. Knock on wood.)

This doesn't seem to prevent me from getting online, however it seems that the connection fades in and out even though the computers are about 20 feet apart with one wall between. Signal strength is fine - about 6 or 7 "Bars" out of 8.

Is there anyway that I can stop getting this IP address error? What should I do? I've tried calling Tech Support aka India but they don't seem to want to listen to me - telling me to do this do that. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-Bryant

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: re: Netgear Problems with router/adapater
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: re: Netgear Problems with router/adapater
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

CNET Forums

Forum Info