Computer Help forum

General discussion

RE: MUST ASK

I bought Lexmark X1150 all-in-one printer that has a USB connector. I am using Windows 98SE OS which dont seem to accept this USB connection. I read the "USB PORT" problem that the person before me was having when I inquired about the "must ask" on this page near the bottom. I went to that "USB" website hoping I could find a solution to my problem. I did however found out that Win98SE and USB printer connection are problematic but could not find a solution. I also came across the possiblilty of problems if using an "ATHLON" mobo, which I am using, but no solution. I have a 1.1 gig Athlon AMD Tbird mobo, using Win98SE OS, 368 meg of mem and a 40 gig HD. What other than buying another printer can I do to connect this all-in-one to my 'puter. The strange thing about this is it was printing, actually printing,until it came up with an error message, [drivers not install, printer not connected]. Whatever happened, please help me. Georq

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: RE: MUST ASK
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: RE: MUST ASK
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: RE: MUST ASK

In reply to: RE: MUST ASK

If it worked once, it will probably work again. Try this...

Get out your motherboard cd and browse it to see if there are USB drivers on it and reinstall them. If not, go to the motherboard website, look up your m/b model number and you might find that there is a USB patch available for W98SE ONLY available for download. I found one for mine when I ran into this problem before.

I would also suggest that you uninstall all the printer info, unplug the printer from the USB port, and shut down the computer and reboot it with it still unplugged. Now reinstall the printer stuff from the cd that came with it, leaving the printer plugged into the POWER outlet only. Then shut down again, reboot to the desktop, and plug the USB port back into your printer. Windows should come up with a 'found new hardware' window and let you know it's installing it and when it's ready.

I don't know of very many USB devices that don't require that the drivers and software to be installed ahead of time before trying to plug in the USB plug.

TONI

Collapse -
Re: RE: MUST ASK

In reply to: RE: MUST ASK

A repeating issue noted at http://www.usbman.com are these items:

1. USB enabled in the BIOS
2. Motherboard and USB drivers installed
HINT! Microsoft doesn't do this!
3. Follow the printer directions. Almost all require you install the drivers before you plug it in.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.