Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

RE-linking repaired XP installation with previous drive

by Hey_888 / November 8, 2009 6:05 AM PST

To get my XP to reboot from my multiple partitioned and multiple drives, I had to copy the windows system directory from a working (C) Windows directory.

The problem now is that Windows sees my original D drive as a C drive while I am in the drive called SATA. Consequently all the mapping is pointing to the C drive. If I am in my real C drive, called Maxtor, it sees it as D in Windows Explorer. If I want to uninstall a program from D SATA drive, it'll install it from my C drive MAXTOR as for the links that do work. Does this make any sense?

Accordingly, I want to remap? C SATA to D SATA like before, but at the same time, I wish to preserve my data on both C SATA and C MAXTOR. I'm not sure if mapping is the correct terminology. I also have WIndows 7 installed too as N drive.

Obviously, reformatting the drive and doing a fresh install of XP would solve this problem but would create more work since I have a total of two XP partitions and one Windows 7 spanned over 3 drives.

Any ideas on how to get my current XP C drive called SATA to be my D drive and my original C Drive, called Maxtor to remain in tact?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: RE-linking repaired XP installation with previous drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: RE-linking repaired XP installation with previous drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ouch that looks complicated.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 9, 2009 5:31 AM PST

I'm amazed that copying the contents of Windows from one install to another worked at all, but it seems that now you have the 'repaired' XP install thinking it is on drive D?

But reading your post over again, (and again), I am not sure I follow the problem.

In this computer I have, I am using a dual boot system. The one I am using now is Vista, on the C drive, but I have installed Windows 7 RC onto drive F, (D and E are optical media drives). However, when I log into my Windows 7 install, that tells me that it is on drive C. That's perfectly normal.

If, somehow, your XP install that you are talking about appears to recognise itself as on drive D in Windows Explorer, then I do not believe there is an easy way around this. Changing drive labels and names is a sure way to make the OS stop working, and from what I have seen elsewhere, the recommended way to remedy this is to completely re-install.

Mark

Collapse -
Complicated and confusing to explain...
by Hey_888 / November 11, 2009 6:12 AM PST

Thanks for the reply. Yes, this certainly does appear to be complicated and I was almost jumping with joy after the copying worked. Because copying worked, there must've been something missing during the repair that prevented windows D from appearing and booting.

As it stands, Windows D is being seen as Windows C. In essence, I have two Windows C and I select which OS I boot to.

My thinking is if I can somehow relink the C to D, then things will be fine once again. I cannot even install any Windows Updates because Windows knows something isn't quite right with the OS C installation.

I know Partition Magic had a mapping feature when merging a partition or merging one nonbootable partition to a bootable and vice versa.

Since the hard drive is quite huge, I would need at least 1.5 TB to backup before trying the Partition magic mapping.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.