Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Re-installed xp won't run

by txpoli / December 5, 2011 3:50 AM PST

My Dell Vostro 1400 laptop was acting very flukey so I reinstalled XP from the original disk provided with the laptop. During installation I got three message boxes asking to locate a missing file (isStor.sys, nvsvc.exe and wpsniuo.sys). The browse button took me nowhere in each case, so I hit "Cancel" and the installation proceeded.
Installation finished, but now when XP tries to start up I get the "did not start successfully" screen with the options to start in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Last Known Good Configuration and Start Windows Normally.
I've tried each option, but each just takes me back to the "did not start successfully" screen (after flashing the Windows start-up screen for half-a-second).

Any suggestions appreciated.

My purpose for re-installing XP is simply to format the drive and install LinuxMint, so if there's a way to do that without a working OS I'd appreciate knowing that too.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Re-installed xp won't run
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Re-installed xp won't run
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
What I do next is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2011 3:55 AM PST

I duplicate that CD since it is often read errors from the CD. Then I install from the copy.

As to your comment about LinuxMint, I thought it installed from floppy or USB? Noted at
http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php in the English manual at page 11.

Bob

Collapse -
linux installation
by txpoli / December 5, 2011 12:40 PM PST
In reply to: What I do next is

LinuxMint comes in two versions: "full" that requires a DVD and "limited" that requires a CD. At the same site as above http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

The CD drive worked fine for other uses prior to the machine going flakey on me. I suspect it was a virus or multiple viruses, and rather than deal with those I'd rather just wipe the drive clean and start over with Linux.

Collapse -
Answer
Or With Those Same Symptoms,,,
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 5, 2011 6:45 AM PST

I've had to replace the DVD/CD drive.. It was starting to fail and wouldn't read the original XP installation CD.. The errors seen are the results of a failed read of the disc.. So either the disc is bad or the drive that reads the disc is bad.

If the drive is bad, you'll have problems installing most any time of program or operating system.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!