Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Re-Installation of Deleted

by Mowassa / October 29, 2004 5:33 AM PDT

I am beginning to really hate XP! I've only had the computer for 1 month and between printer and scanner problems (finally fixed), now cannot do a system restore. Accidently deleted Microsoft Office 2003 Trial version while installing an earlier version, now I can't restore, had to uninstall SP2 for the 2nd time, have contacted Hp and Microsoft and the only advice I'm given is to do a system recovery! This meaning I would have to reinstall all driver's and applications for the umpteenth time, then reinstall the SP2. I've asked for the "Trial" version from Microsoft and HP, answer is "do non-destructive recovery". Anyone have any suggestions on who I can contact to just get the software (MS Office 2003 Edition) without having to do a standard, non-destructive or full system recovery? Backing up everything is one of the last things I wanted to do... Does anyone have any other suggestions before I do a recovery? HELP Please?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Re-Installation of Deleted
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Re-Installation of Deleted
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Re-Installation of Deleted
by Merl Priester / October 30, 2004 12:10 AM PDT

You had better get used to backing things up.
Hard drives are temporary storage. The 2003 Office is only a DEMO. It will only work for 60 days then you must pay for it.

If you want that program, you better buy it so you will have the disks. Otherwise you just get the pre-install on the hard drive and you may run into this later.

XP is not the problem here.
It is much more stable and easier to install just about everything on than previous versions of windows.

Collapse -
Re: Re-Installation of Deleted
by glb613 / October 30, 2004 12:15 AM PDT

I have an HP and the Office 2003 is only a trial version. Once it has expired, reinstalling it will not activate it again. So as the other poster stated, you will have to buy it if you want to continue using it. The offer you get through HP is a little cheaper than buying it retail.

Collapse -
Re: Other Alternatives.
by Stan Chambers / October 30, 2004 1:09 AM PDT

You may want to try Open Office. There's a free version and it works great. You can download it here: http://www.openoffice.org/
Good Luck.

Collapse -
Re: try to reformat the disk
by Mr. L. / October 30, 2004 2:22 AM PDT

I posted just above you today about these un-installables and The only thing that has come back from the grape vine is to reformat... I know this has got to Tick ya off but it will help in the re installation of your office products...

BUT DO NOT UPDATE AND MAKE SURE THAT THE ADMINISTRATORS ACCT. (PRESS F-8 KEY ON BOOTING UP ) IS NOT SET FOR AUTOMATIC UPDATES!!!!!

Yes I too am looking at the windows xp disk... and really am hating the fact that I may need to reformatted due to this sp2 pack of crap i just updated . They seem to think its only about 1 1/2 hours but they do not care about all the other drivers/updates and files that need to be re installed..... I BET IF THEY HAD TO RE PAY US FOR TIME LOSS ... THINGS WOULD CERTAINLY CHANGE !!!!

I hope this helps a little.... best of luck to yas
From MR. L.C.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.