Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Re-Insatll Windows Question

by johndrop / March 30, 2004 8:39 AM PST

I had to reinsatll windows after updating video drivers sent it into a booting loop. Now I cannot log onto the internet. Any suggestion?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Re-Insatll Windows Question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Re-Insatll Windows Question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Re-Insatll Windows Question
by glb613 / March 30, 2004 9:52 AM PST

How do you connect to the internet? Are you getting any error messages? What operating system are you using?

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re-Insatll Windows Question
by johndrop / March 30, 2004 10:40 AM PST

I am running XP. All I get is "This page cannot be displayed". I have a pc connected to the same router and it connects just fine

Collapse -
Got Drivers?
by Tom Aikman / March 30, 2004 12:17 PM PST

If you installed XP from an OEM or retail CD, you need to install the correct drivers for your system. Motherboard, video card, NIC card, and sound are just a few that people think XP will load for you. It won't. XP may "see" them but the hardware may not function correctly.
Cable or DSL?

Good Luck, Tom

Collapse -
Re:Got Drivers?
by Stan Chambers / March 30, 2004 1:12 PM PST
In reply to: Got Drivers?

In addition to installing the driver software for all your hardware, you'll also have to re-configure your connection.
I have recently experienced the same, and configuring my wireless connection was the most difficult part for me. It was, however, a good learning experience.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Got Drivers?
by stu-eyris / March 30, 2004 7:31 PM PST
In reply to: Re:Got Drivers?

another thing which sprang to mind is check and c if your are working off lin in ie, i had that problem, took me ages to find it, but the net will not work if you are working off line, also you may need to re run the network wizard, and put in the defallt gateway (routers ip address) agian

stu

Collapse -
Re:Re-Insatll Windows Question
by stu-eyris / March 30, 2004 7:27 PM PST

was it an ATI catylist driver by any chance cus i had the same proble with a boot loop, i have been told that turning shadows off can solve the problem but havent tried it, as for the internet are you on dial up or broadband,

if dial up check the phone number which you are dialing to, when you signed up it should have give it to you

if broadband remove the modem unstall the software, then reinstall as if you were installing it for the first time, acording to your suplyers guide

stu

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?