General discussion

Re-initializing Windows after inactivity

Hello:

Perhaps somone can give me some advice. Last year I bought a new computer and stored away my older fully-functional desktop computer in a closet. Today, I met someone who didn't have a computer and I decided to give my older computer to her. When I set up and turned on the older computer a dialog box appeared before anything else and said that I had to "Initialize the OS" either over the phone or online.

My question is, even though there is no physical internet connection, (and being that she just moved in, one isn't available yet), why would this dialog box appear? I don't remember whether the OS is '98 or XP. Would a year's inactivity cause the appearance of this dialog box? When an internet connection is established, how can it be initialized if I don'r remember any of the properties of the old desktop? I certainly wouldn't have any of its disks available.

Can anyone help me with this dilemma?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Re-initializing Windows after inactivity
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Re-initializing Windows after inactivity
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Yup.

Microsoft does check in after a time period to revalidate the license. I won't discuss this at any length other than to confirm that it's something they did to stop pirates and owners from installing one license onto more than one machine.

There are long and deep discussions about this but rest assured I won't do more than verify that this is now in not only XP but Office.

As to disks, those are not unlike keys to your car. I'd fix that.

Bob

- Collapse -
right after you turn on the computer

Start tapping the F8 key, post back on what happens.

CNET Forums