Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Re: Firefox 1.0.1

by John Robie / February 25, 2005 3:43 PM PST

Hi Donna,

I downloaded the new version of Firefox 1.0.1 and then installed over the top of version 1.0. Noticed in Add/Remove that it showed both 1.0.1 and 1.0, so I deleted version 1.0. Well, the Firefox Icons disappeared including the one I had in the Task Bar. Doing a search, I still find stuff from the old 1.0 back to when I installed Firefox last year. I figured I made a mistake in deleting the 1.0, so for the first time in about a year I used my commercial GoBack3 going back to before the installation and regaining the 1.0. Still have the 1.0.1 downloaded but waiting to reinstall. Now, I thinking, something is just not right, after searching the CNet forums, finding no comments I went to the Mozilla forums and found about a dozen with the same sort of thing as my experience:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=225357

Some seem to suggest waiting about 10 more days to install. Another says that the 1.0.1 should be a update patch to install over the top and not delete the old. Another says he had no problems installing over the top (I didn't either).

Think I'll wait awhile to see how this all comes out before installing again. I'm not comfortable with two versions of Firefox in Add/Remove and the two versions in C:/Programs.

Only installed this on my WinXP (off the net & clearing programs running), after checking anti-virus, AdAware, SpyBot, and MS AntiSpyware, in case someone is wondering.;-)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Re: Firefox 1.0.1
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Re: Firefox 1.0.1
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi JR
by Donna Buenaventura / February 25, 2005 5:28 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Firefox 1.0.1

I wish not to remove the old version because I have to get the extensions again + do the settings again.

What I did first is I checked for updates online via Firefox Options>Advanced>Software Updates>Firefox. It didn't detect that I need new version 1.0.1 or the the security update so I thought uninstalling old version is "the way to go" because if we can install over the top of v1.0, the built-in updater should be able to detect it.

Also, they noted in their Releases page:

All Systems
Prior to installing Firefox 1.0.1, please ensure that the directory you've chosen to install into is clean and doesn't contain any previous Firefox installations

On my other box (a test box), I installed over the top to check if it will run normally, if the extensions is 1.0.1 compatible and if there's any other issue. All is well except what you've seen - 2 entry of Mozilla Firefox - 1.0 and 1.0.1.

I will proceed now to Secunia test pages and other sites test pages to check if the:

Security hole fixes are fixed <g>

22183 - Display hostname in title bar when address bar is hidden, to reduce the impact of the fact that web sites are allowed to spoof address bars.
260560 - Security and download dialogs can be spoofed by covering them partially using popup windows.
262887 - Secunia background tab security issues (SA12712).
273699 - 2 Frame Injection Vulnerabilities (popup blocking race condition & onunload event mis-firing).
275417 - Download dialog source spoofing (SA13599).
279945 - Image drag and drop allows to create executable files.
280056 - When dropping a javascript link to a tab, the script runs in the security context of the site currently displayed in the tab.
280603 - "New Updates Avail" popup in bottom right-hand corner pops up endlessly / excessive hits on update service.
280664 - Using Flash and the -moz-opacity filter you can get access to about:config and make the user silently change values.
282270 - Display IDN URLs as punycode by default (controlled by a hidden pref).

Thanks for the link to the discussion JR.

Collapse -
Thanks Donna
by A.L. / February 26, 2005 5:50 AM PST
In reply to: Hi JR

I updated as per this post and all went well.
My bookmarks and extensions remained even though I uninstalled Firefox 1.0 first. Ann

Collapse -
Nice to know all is well Ann :)
by Donna Buenaventura / February 26, 2005 9:50 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks Donna

Thanks also to JR for sharing his FF 1.0.1 experience Happy It warned users not to install over the top.

Collapse -
I've just installed F1.0.1
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 25, 2005 9:44 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Firefox 1.0.1

but uninstalled F1.0 first and seem to have had no problems.

I had the same initial thought as you about installing over the top but I read what Donna found at mozilla.org about making sure the directory was clean of all previous installs, so I decided to play safe.

I may have lost some plug-ins, (eg Adobe), but I can always get them back.

Interestingly, a toolbar item feature I added to F1.0 to "wrap" long url's into two or more lines rather than leave them wandering off the edge of the web page is still present in the new version. I'm not sure why uninstall didn't delete that.

Mark

Collapse -
Not in the same directory.
by Donna Buenaventura / February 26, 2005 1:09 AM PST
Interestingly, a toolbar item feature I added to F1.0 to "wrap" long url's into two or more lines rather than leave them wandering off the edge of the web page is still present in the new version. I'm not sure why uninstall didn't delete that.

Hi Mark,

One of the post in the topic in Mozillazine forum that JR gave earlier mentioned:

" settings, extentions, themes, bookmarks, etc., etc. aren't touched by an uninstallation since they're not in the same folder as the program itself."

The above is true. The other box where I installed FF1.0.1 (after removing FF1.0) still has the FF1.0 settings and extensions.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Ahh that explains it. Thanks Donna
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 26, 2005 4:37 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) :-)
by Donna Buenaventura / February 26, 2005 9:49 PM PST
Collapse -
Using Firefox
by daleisok / February 26, 2005 11:38 PM PST

Has anybody encountered problems using Firefox? Has anybody refused to give you support on problems beccause you are using Firefox?

Thanks

Dale

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Answer is NO to both questions... happy computing :)
by glenn30 / February 27, 2005 12:21 AM PST
In reply to: Using Firefox

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!