Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

? re: file found by Ad-aware

by zeebell / September 22, 2004 11:20 PM PDT

Windows 98; IE 6; cable modem

I have a friend who ran the new version of ad-aware yesterday. It found 150 new objects in 62,000 files. When using the old version, the # of files did not exceed 32,000.

She was gone for a week and unplugged her PC. When she powered it back up all went well. Where did those extra 30,000 files come from?

Could it be spyware that was "sitting on the server" waiting to come down the pike when she started her PC up again? This may be a silly question, but I'm curious about all those extra files.

We did run the new version of ad-aware and it froze on us. I can get as far as right-clicking and selecting all objects to remove but it freezes on deleting.

I then got the updates for spybot and ran it and it found several items. We got rid of those dudes. If ad-aware will not run this morning, I'm going to uninstall and download it again. Maybe it got fragmented along the way someplace.

My real question is about those extra 30,000 files. Her AVG shows her clean.

Thanks for your ideas.

Julea

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ? re: file found by Ad-aware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ? re: file found by Ad-aware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: ? re: file found by Ad-aware
by Donna Buenaventura / September 22, 2004 11:36 PM PDT
My real question is about those extra 30,000 files

I don't know the real answer but by looking into some of its' "What's New" info, we'll see the following:

Scanning engine improvements
-Now scans all modules loaded by a process

Extended Registry scanning
-Now scans registry branches of multiple user accounts
-Extended Scanning for known and unknown/possible Browser-Hijackers

Extended Disk scanning
-Now scans and lists alternate Data-streams on NTFS volume
-Now Ad-Aware supports scanning of Cabinet files, (including spanned archives)

Note: The above features in Ad-aware SE is not complete. I only choose the items that is related to its # scanning of files that you are asking.

Full info on what's new at http://www.lavasoftusa.com/news/20040809.shtml

The old version is still supported but it is recommended to use the new version.
Collapse -
Hey Donna -- we're all fixed up!
by zeebell / September 23, 2004 7:40 AM PDT

I went back to my friend's home this morning and found that after spybot did its scan and deletions, all was well. I re-ran ad-aware SE and it only showed 28,000 files this time and it came up with 0 objects. That is much better than the 62,000 originally showed.

Her PC has been working for several hours now a-ok, so guess it's ok. Time will tell.

Thanks for your info.

Julea

Collapse -
Good to hear that Julea :)
by Donna Buenaventura / September 24, 2004 1:03 AM PDT

Great job in helping your friends Love

Collapse -
Just so I'm not the friend that was ---
by zeebell / September 25, 2004 12:37 AM PDT

you know what I mean ---- "good neighbor Sam." (hehehehe) I'm really careful about doing things on another's PC and never do anything unless I really know what I'm doing. That's one reason I rely on cnet -- it's such a great learning tool. I'd rather mess up my PC than theirs ---- and I really work at not messing mine up.

Julea

Collapse -
Re: Just so I'm not the friend that was ---
by John Robie / September 25, 2004 4:58 AM PDT

CNet can always use more people in the forums and maybe read the ads. It would be nice if you let your friends know about the forums and perhaps they can ask questions.

Happy
JR

Collapse -
by zeebell / September 25, 2004 11:15 PM PDT

Hi JR -- I have been doing that for the 4, almost 5 years I've been participating here. They all seem to not want to take that leap for some reason. I keep trying and do think I have 1 friend that will be joining us soon.

Julea

P.S. Do I need to start another thread for this off topic question? How do you get the smiley inserted in a post (like you have done in your post)? I do sigs at another forum using html coding so I know enough about that to be dangerous (LOL). I do have some smileys that would work here at times.

Collapse -
by roddy32 / September 25, 2004 11:28 PM PDT

Hi Julea If you go to the Forum FAQ, number 7 tells you how to add an emoticon. Grin

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thank you very much; I'll check out #7.
by zeebell / September 27, 2004 12:53 PM PDT
Collapse -
Hey Roddy -- guess what I found --
by zeebell / September 28, 2004 2:11 AM PDT
Grin

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.:)
Collapse -
Re: Hey Roddy -- guess what I found --
by roddy32 / September 28, 2004 2:13 AM PDT

You are welcome Julea Wink

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.