Mac Applications forum

General discussion

Re-diting a finished imovie project

by Helen Hall / December 13, 2008 5:36 PM PST

My friends created an imovie project of our overseas trip, and burned me a copy to dvd -as VOB files. The movie consists of still photos, video footage and music laid over the top. The only re-edting I want to do is to replace some of the still photos with others (they live interstate so it is not as simple as me going around to use their computer).

My questions:
1. Is there a way I can take this finished project back into imovie (e.g., by converting it to mpg?)
2. If there is a way to get it back into imovie, will it split the movie into audio track, movie track etc. as per normal imovie project?
3. If it won't split it as above, all I need from the original movie they created is the video footage, I have the photos and music they used myself. So can I edit out the music from the video footage (from their project), and start an imovie project again -with their video and then relay new music over the top, with new photos etc.?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Re-diting a finished imovie project
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Re-diting a finished imovie project
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 13, 2008 10:06 PM PST

While this is possible, it is not easy and the results are not always good.

The best way to get it back into an editable state is to convert the dvd into DV format. This is the format that iMovie uses best. It can also use MPEG4 but not MPEG1 & MPEG2.
The best program that I know of to do this is Visual Hub, which is unfortunately no longer available. All is not lost though.
There is a good, free, application called Handbrake (Google it) that will read your DVD and convert it to MPEG4. You then have to import that file into iMovie and start to work your magic.

It "might" split the Audio and Video tracks but if it does not, you can do that within iMovie.

Once it is in iMovie, you can chop away at it, and add stuff, to your hearts content.

Good luck,

Let us know how you get on

Collapse -
I have been using handbrake
by MAD geek / December 13, 2008 11:22 PM PST

I have been using handbrake for a while now, and it works great, just insert the DVD, I would just save it as quicktime in the toggle presets bar, this way you know there are no sound visual errors, then click start, it worked for me.

After it is done just import it into iMovie.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?