Speakeasy forum

Question

Re: Database collections

With all the information that the Feds are cleaning and storing, I have to ask...

If the Pentagon can't protect their own computers from being hacked and enemies getting/grabbing high tech data, how can the Feds possibly protect billions of phone call, email, social networking data, including our medical records, social security numbers, banking info, etc. from being hacked from those same enemies. We already know that actual banks and other financial institutions have been hacked repeatedly, so does this mean that we as private citizens leave the digital world behind and get back to basics like putting money under the mattress in order to protect ourselves and only use walkie talkies instead of phones of any kind or ride bicycles or motorcycles that don't have tracking gear attached?

This is getting to be so wrong........at all kinds of levels.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Re: Database collections
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Re: Database collections
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
If the Director of the CIA can't have an affair.....

In reply to: Re: Database collections

.....without word getting out, your concerns are probably valid.

Since this is all being done under the umbrella of the Patriot Act, and has apparently been going on since (at least) 2006, I wonder how many of those who applauded the Patriot Act are now reevaluating their opinions.

Collapse -
The terrorists have already won

In reply to: If the Director of the CIA can't have an affair.....

Even if we keep killing them one by one, the war on terror is already decided. We have taken our own selves hostage and there's no ransom amount that will free us.

Collapse -
That's what Cheney, etal. did not understand

In reply to: The terrorists have already won

They were willing to put the entire country into lockdown and call it "freedom." Whenever I heard Cheney speak I quietly thanked [insert name of preferred supreme being/entity here] that we had a Constitution.

Collapse -
I didn't applaud the PA

even though I could understand the logic for it.......the fact that we had no terrorist attacks or attempts in the US during the Bush terms after 9-11, I have to assume that at least the surveillance that was being done then was working correctly. I don't know the reasons, unless it's because there were far fewer expansions that BO has now put into place and far fewer people that were contracted out and checking was done by people who actually knew what they were supposed to be looking for rather than just a high-school drop out being given high security clearance to just collect the data and not really pay any attention to what he was looking at (and in this case, he actually could look and comprehend it all).

I most certainly don't approve of the vast expansions that are going on and have been going on since those days......and I sure as hell don't understand the logic behind a contractor being able to hire for high security clearance a kid who couldn't finish high school. And yet we are expected to trust the decision making that this administration adheres to......where there is not only no oversight but no accountability either. Now they are going after this kid as a traitor, but nobody is asking WHO LET THIS HAPPEN IN THE FIRST PLACE???????? And why aren't they on the hot seat?????????

Collapse -
There were numerous attempts during Bush's terms, Toni

In reply to: I didn't applaud the PA

Collapse -
Traitor

In reply to: There were numerous attempts during Bush's terms, Toni

There have been a number of officials calling him that publicly.......McCain, Graham, Boehner to name a few....along with a few Dems.

Collapse -
Attempts

In reply to: There were numerous attempts during Bush's terms, Toni

All except Reid were foiled during the planning stages......Reid happened shortly after 9-11 and I don't think the PAct was in place yet; fortunately, the ******* only hurt himself because he was a total dumba$$ and inept.

As for the rest of the 'attempts'.....for the reasons I listed above, I think the agencies and policies put into place actually thwarted them and prevented them from happening. Now I think the agencies and policies are so heavily expanded and using inexperienced people to run and implement them that they can't work effectively anymore.

Collapse -
I also take exception to "couldn't finish high school"

In reply to: I didn't applaud the PA

People get GEDs for various reasons. I have a GED. I failed one class by two points in one semester at a very prestigious high school. My GPA was very good otherwise. It happens. It is not an automatic reflection on someone's intelligence or ability to complete something, and is considered the same as a high school diploma when it comes to college admissions. No schools turned me down on the basis of my having a GED.

The fact that he has a GED is really irrelevant to this story.

Collapse -
So a GED qualifies

In reply to: I also take exception to "couldn't finish high school"

him for high level security clearance? That's all you expect from our government to protect us, Josh? I'm glad YOUR expectations are so low that you would accept crappy qualifications for high ranking (oh, wait....it's OUTSOURCED) security here. Lovely.

Collapse -
Many people

In reply to: So a GED qualifies

working in the govt with no more than a high school diploma have top secret SCI clearances. Education alone is NOT the criteria on which such clearances are based, but on trustworthiness.

Collapse -
Security clearance is based on background check

In reply to: Many people

For some levels, it's an EBC...E for "extensive". All that really means is what have you done so far that would make you a risk. After 4 or more years of college, some could actually generate reasons for not granting higher levels of clearance. Besides that, clearance alone doesn't grant you access to a single document.

Collapse -
SCI

In reply to: Security clearance is based on background check

It means Secret Compartmented Information. In other words, even with a Top Secret, you are limited to what your particular area is involved in and no access to Top Secret information from other areas unless prior approval is given for the exchange of information. At NSA all that goes through DIRNSA to be determined. A good book to read is Puzzle Palace. Wink

Collapse -
In addition to what Steven, Diana and James said....

In reply to: Security clearance is based on background check

.....what is the real problem here -- the fact that the NSA is stockpiling data on American citizens or the fact that someone squealed? Aren't you glad you found out? Attacking Snowden seems a bit like attacking a mob informant for "being a rat."

Collapse -
It could show how bright he is

In reply to: So a GED qualifies

Both of my sons were bored to tears in school and both dropped out and aced their GEDs. This seems to happen with boys more than girls. I know that I was bored most of the time in school but I just studied what the school wanted me to study and then expanded the subject into different areas.

Diana

Collapse -
Even the concentration camps ended here eventually

During WW2, so maybe this will end eventually too.

Collapse -
Wait, wait, don't tell me.

In reply to: Even the concentration camps ended here eventually

I thought we had these still?
Don't google "concentration camps in usa today."
Bob

Collapse -
Martial Law?

In reply to: Wait, wait, don't tell me.

Collapse -
According to Snopes

In reply to: Martial Law?

Collapse -
I watched one video

In reply to: According to Snopes

and it focused on various things, ascribing stuff to them as regards future incarcerations, and the railroad tracks and then some old beaten up train engine with US Air Force on it, and I kept thinking it looks just like any abandoned commercial site. I'm sure a lot of it is fake, I just don't know how much.

Collapse -
ALL of it is fake

In reply to: I watched one video

That one has been going around since his first term. Not one thing in that list is true.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.