Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Re: (Control Panel)Log On Sounds for XP Log on...etc.Deleted

by dawline / February 1, 2009 3:15 PM PST

I have lost a number of Sounds in my Window XP sp3. My Start Up Sounds, the Recyle Bin (Empting) gone?

I GO TO THE CONTROL PANEL AND THE OPTIONS UNDER (SOUNDS AND DEVICES) HAVE BEEN SOMEHOW DELETED?

I USED MY (XP INSTALLATION0 DISC AND PERFORMED A (REPAIR) HOPING TO RESTORE THE (DEFAULT SOUNDS OFFERED IN XP)?

ANY ON HAVE ANY IDEA (HOW TO RESTORE0 THESE OPTION?

I HOPE SO!

dawline

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Re: (Control Panel)Log On Sounds for XP Log on...etc.Deleted
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Re: (Control Panel)Log On Sounds for XP Log on...etc.Deleted
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Re: (Control Panel)Log On Sounds for XP Log on...etc.De
by Tufenuf / February 1, 2009 9:28 PM PST

dawline, Go to the link below and scroll down to line 6 (left column) and click on "Restore System Default Sounds" to download a .reg file fix. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Also go to the link below and click on the "?" to the left of "Where did my Sounds go?" to expand it and you'll find several more possible fixes.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm

Tufenuf

Collapse -
by dawline / February 3, 2009 11:11 AM PST

This link above that you sent me has a page full of Script that I haven't the slightest idea what to do with it?

Do You?

Also one of the links instructed me to (Right Click) and to (Download) a Vob or Vbs file....(I can't remember which, but when I did that (THERE WAS NO FILE TO DOWNLOAD)?

MAYBE YOU SHOULD MAKE THIS EASY FOR DUMMIES LIKE ME!!!!!!!!!!

ANY SUGGESTIONS

DAWLINE
Collapse -
Re: Control Panel)Log On Sounds for XP Log on...etc.Deleted
by Tufenuf / February 3, 2009 11:37 AM PST

DAWLINE, Go to the link below and scroll down to line 6 (left column) and click on "Restore System Default Sounds" to download a .reg file fix. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

Note: Try doing the above using Internet Explorer to download the .reg file. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt or right click it and choose merge.

As far as the vbs file you would right click it choose "Save target as" and save it to your desktop. After that you'd just double left click the saved vbs file and follow the prompts.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
by dawline / February 4, 2009 3:50 PM PST

Thanks Tufenuf for your help! Let me tell you the latest on my troubles with trying to restore (Not only my XP Sounds....But the Very Option to Add Sounds has somehow been Deleted, under the Sounds categorie in my Control Panel.

I went to both the Links you gave me and (Downloaded two Reg files.

1)- (restore.reg, and audiosvr.reg)...Here is the Error Message I recieved when I (1st Double Clicked tgem both, and Right Clicked a selected Merge)....For both files I got the Error Message: (THIS FILE DOES NOT HAVE A PROGRAM ASSOCITED WITH IT FOR PERFORMING THIS ACTION, CREATE AN ASSOCIATION IN THE Folder Options control panel)?????????

Now if you are familiar with this Error Message, I am dying to hear it!

I have no clue what this actually means???????

Help!

Dawline

Collapse -
Try this
by Tufenuf / February 4, 2009 7:56 PM PST

Dawline, Sounds like your .reg file association is hosed. Go to the link below and download the "REG File Association Fix" which is a zip file.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Unzip or extract it to somewhere you can easily find it then do the following:

Press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter. Once regedit is open click File>Import and locate that reg file fix, hilite it and click Open.

After you do the above then try to run those other 2 reg file fixes by double left clicking them or right clicking them and choose "merge".

Tufenuf

Collapse -
by dawline / February 5, 2009 3:15 AM PST
In reply to: Try this

Thanks Tufenuf: I followed your instructions to the tee, and recieved (Another Error Message)??

Here are the Instructions I followed:

"Go to the link below and download the "REG File Association Fix" which is a zip file.
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Unzip or extract it to somewhere you can easily find it then do the following:

Press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter. Once regedit is open click File>Import and locate that reg file fix, hilite it and click Open.

After you do the above then try to run those other 2 reg file fixes by double left clicking them or right clicking them and choose "merge".

Here is the Error Message I Got (This) time!

"CANNOT IMPORT C:X_regfile.zip; The Key Selected is invalid"??????

I'm stumped, is there something that I'm missing here?

Help;

Dawline!

Collapse -
More info.
by Tufenuf / February 5, 2009 3:38 AM PST

Dawline, Did you first unzip or extract that zipped reg file fix to somewhere you can easily find it?

The unzipped file name would be xp_regfile.reg

Tufenuf

Collapse -
by dawline / February 5, 2009 5:27 AM PST
In reply to: More info.

Yes! I (Unzipped All of the Downloaded Files)!

Those Files Are:

1.) - xp_regfile.zip
2.) - restoresounds.reg
3.) - audiosvr.reg

They were Unzipped to my C:Drive. The real problem is the Error Messages I keep getting?

The last Error Message say: (CANNOT IMPORT C:X_REGFILE.ZIP THE KEY SELECTED IS INVALID)? Does this mean the File is Corrupted?

Thanks for your help!

Dawline

Collapse -
Re Re: Control Panel)Log On Sounds for XP Log on...etc.Delet
by Tufenuf / February 5, 2009 8:45 AM PST

Dawline, If that file name is still xp_regfile.zip you didn't unzip it. Double left click it to unzip it. After that's done the file name should show as xp_regfile.reg

Then follow the instructions I previously posted.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
by dawline / February 5, 2009 10:47 AM PST

Hey Tufenuf: You are the Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Followed your last Suggestion and everything Has Been Restored as Before! Now when I Boot Up I hear that sound I love so much! Due, Due, Due, Due!

Tufenuf? You know this is the 2nd time you've helped me through the CNet Forum!

Thanks Again!
Dawline

Collapse -
(NT) Dawline, Good job and Glad I could be of help.
by Tufenuf / February 5, 2009 11:01 AM PST
Collapse -
by dawline / February 5, 2009 2:46 PM PST

Thank Again Tufenuf:

Until Next Time!

Dawline!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!