Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

re compac 1930NX can one upgrade Pentium 4 to duo core

by baronneri / July 29, 2006 6:41 AM PDT

I have a compac 1930nx Pentium 4
Processor
?
Intel

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: re compac 1930NX can one upgrade Pentium 4 to duo core
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: re compac 1930NX can one upgrade Pentium 4 to duo core
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's a Socket 775 CPU.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2006 7:01 AM PDT

But for example http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=232 shows the core duo on Socket 479. No match yet.

"the Core Duo is not a drop-in replacement for the Pentium M. In fact, although it has 479 pins on its belly, the Core Duo uses a different pin layout than the Pentium M, making it physically incompatible with older Socket 479 motherboards."
http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q2/core-duo/index.x?pg=1

It's looking like no.

If you look at the Core 2 Duo, that may fit Socket 775, but you'll have to ask HP if the BIOS supports the CPU.

Bob

Collapse -
answer to "That's a Socket 775 CPU
by baronneri / July 29, 2006 8:37 AM PDT

So that would mean I'd have to get a new motherboard. So what motherboard would fit into a Compac computer case? It would have to be the same or better than the one I have now and it won't be until at least next year. I'd hate to think I am going to pay for something that will be obsolete.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Or wait for the Core 2 Duo?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2006 10:11 AM PDT
Collapse -
re waiting for core 2 duo
by baronneri / July 29, 2006 11:55 PM PDT

Well if there is a way to put the new core 2 duo in the motherboard, that'd save quite a bit. You see, I was saving for a computer with the core 2 duo chip or the Ahtlon 64 equivalent, but it appeared my old computer died at least seven months before I was ready. So it appears that now I have to save for a motherboard or a chip that will fit into my present motherboard.
So you see, even if the core 2 duo is not available except in machines, or only limited in availibility, I would not be doing any motherboard or chip replacement until at the very earliest of February of next year.

Collapse -
Ouch, the impact is worse than that. More.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2006 1:40 AM PDT

If you change the motherboard, it's all too likely the Compaq supplied OS will not install. The license is for HP/Compaq and many learn this after buying the replacements.

Bob

Collapse -
answer to it's worse than you thought
by baronneri / August 1, 2006 6:50 AM PDT

well does that mean I bought a lemon (on the advise of course of my husband and the salesman?) And considering that the salesman told me that it had everything I needed (Yup that terrible word said to women by men who think all we do is read email, and surf), do I have to wait until not only do I pay for this one but have saved enough money for the next computer? By the way, you should see our basement, at least six computer cases.

Collapse -
My basement looks like that too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 1, 2006 7:36 AM PDT

I kept the Compaq Portable (sewing machine) and an original IBM PC (8088 with two 5 1/4 inch drives).

Not a lemon in my book just trying to help you avoid a common pothole to upgrades.

Most laptops and brandname desktops have limitations for upgrades. The CPU is one of the tough ones and even worse when we try to switch to a new generation.

Bob

Collapse -
re My basement looks like that too
by baronneri / August 1, 2006 10:26 AM PDT

I wrote to HP to see if the motherboard can take the core duo 2 chip. I was looking at TigerDirect which sells compac replacement motherboards here in Canada and there are two types -the basic old one and the one that has the 775 design. I'd suppose if I have the old type, I'm out of luck, but if I had the new one, I would stand a better chance. You see I kind of got suspicious when I found that some of the bundle loaded into the computer was Student version of Microsoft Office dated 2003, Microsoft Money 2003===so either they loaded old software in it or the computer wasn't as new as they said it was.

Collapse -
Office 2003 is the latest version.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 1, 2006 1:05 PM PDT

There is some beta that is newer but not ready.

Just sharing that I don't use Microsoft Office but Open Office. Price and more are my reasons.

Bob

Collapse -
Office 2003 latest version
by baronneri / August 2, 2006 5:17 AM PDT

So my computer is new after all. Still would like to know whether it's motherboard will accept the new chip.

Collapse -
Silly question
by marinetbryant / August 2, 2006 10:11 AM PDT

Not that learned but learning, can you fix the old pc? Do you have any idea why it won't run? The good people on these forums can tell you how to fix a sinking battleship with a stick of gum! LOL

Tom

Collapse -
answer to silly question
by baronneri / August 3, 2006 4:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Silly question

Actually my new computer works fine. My son, the
Computer Genius with a bachelor in Computer Science looked at my old one, did the examination of everything in it and said it died -his died in six years as well.) Only it died, seven months before I planned to purchase a new one.

It's just that I am looking ahead when the new chip becomes available to the general public and Microsoft says that they will no longer support Windows XP because Vista is available.

I remember my friends and in-laws who had the old Windows 3.11 and could not install Windows 95 nor surf the web or use the computer for more than one dimensional games because the computer did not have enough power, simple word processing and they did not have enough money to buy a new one or even a good second hand one.

Of course I do not want to go into extreme detail explaining things but I leave the thought unsaid.

Collapse -
Answer
by marinetbryant / August 3, 2006 4:59 AM PDT

No need to detail. It would seem that with the core 2 duo coming out, first to pc makers, that there will be some type of price drop on the core duo's fairly soon. As far as XP and support, I honestly believe that MS will provide support for a few years yet. Been wanting to build another pc Tim Taylor style, more power, more speed, but things seem to be changing really fast right now. Good luck in your endeavors.

Tom

Collapse -
reply toAnswer
by baronneri / August 4, 2006 6:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Answer

I got a reply and this is a partial message from HP

ext, coming to the issue:

What I understand is that you wish to know whether the Motherboard
installed on the Compaq Presario SR1930NX Desktop PC supports Intel Dual
core Processor not.

I have checked the specifications of the Compaq Presario SR1930NX
desktop PC and found that the Motherboard installed on the system
supports Intel Dual Core Processors. It is equipped with Socket 775 and
the following Dual Core series Processors are supported:

Pentium D 9xx series Dual Core (Presler)
* Pentium D 8xx series Dual Core (Smithfield)

For your convenience, I am providing the key differences between Pentium
4 series processors and Intel Dual Core Processors:

* Dual Core processors have two processing cores on each chip, allowing
the processor to handle more processing threads simultaneously.
* Dual Core processors do not perform twice the work of a single-core
processor. This is due to the overhead associated with dividing the
workload.

Fore detailed information on Intel Dual Core Processors, visit following
Web site:

http://www.intel.com/technology/computing/dual-core/

NOTE: The URLs above will take you to a non HP Web site. HP
does not control and is not responsible for information
outside of the HP Web site

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!