Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

RE: (Clearing (Completely) Deleted Files from My Hard Drive)

by dawline / August 7, 2008 11:33 AM PDT

Anybody know of a Good Program that will (COMPLETELY REMVOE DELETED FILE FROM MY HARD DRIVE)???

Very Anxious;

Dawline
sgrb48@sbcglobal.net

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: RE: (Clearing (Completely) Deleted Files from My Hard Drive)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: RE: (Clearing (Completely) Deleted Files from My Hard Drive)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wipe the drive completely?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 7, 2008 8:04 PM PDT

Is that what you mean?

Look up DBAN in Google. If you use it it will wipe everything.

By the way, don't post your email address in these, or any, forums, unless you want those spam robots who trawl forums for email addresses to find yours so you can be spammed.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: Clearing Deleted Files (Completely From Hard Drive)!
by dawline / August 8, 2008 7:47 AM PDT

Thanks for you responding to my post MarkFlax!

I (Do Not) want to wipe the (Entire Drive) clean... ( I ONLY WANT TO REMOVE COMPLETELY EVERY FILE ALREADY DELETED FROM ANY KIND OF RECOVERY FROM MY HARD DRIVE)!
ANY FREE SOFTWARE THAT WILL DO THAT OUT THERE????

Oh! Thanks for the warning on posting my email on the forum! Advice well given!

Dawline

Collapse -
File shredders
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 8, 2008 9:04 PM PDT

Ahh, you need something like a file shredder There's one listed here;
http://www.sharewareconnection.com/titles/erase-files-completely.htm

And a number of options at Download.com.

But you have a problem. These shredders will not find the remnants of already deleted files. They don't work like that, they allow you to select an existing file you want to delete and shred that. If the file has already been deleted they can't find it.

This is not going to be easy. I can suggest you try a 'File Recovery' utility, to try and recover files, then shred them, but those file recovery packages can turn out to be expensive.

That may be your only option if this is critical for you. Mostly, file remnants will eventually be overwritten on the hard disk by the OS as and when new data is stored on it, and unless there is sensitive data on a hard disk, this is usually enough for most people.

Sorry. Probably not the answer you wanted.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: Complete Removal of (Deleted Files from Hard Drive)!
by dawline / August 9, 2008 10:41 AM PDT
In reply to: File shredders

Thanks MarkFlax for you responses! I'm not looking for a (File Shredder)...even though that was a good suggestion!

ARE YOU FAMILIAR WITH (RESTORATION.EXE)????

I UNDERSTAND THIS IS A GOOD PROGRAM TO REMOVE (ALREADY DELETED) FILES AND ANY TRACES FROM THE HARD DISK!

DO YOU OR ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS PROGRAM AND (HOW TO USE IT)????

Dawline

Collapse -
Might Try Following 2 Step Porcess.....
by tobeach / August 9, 2008 4:21 PM PDT

1) Get Freeware CCleaner & install. Don't run immediately. Get Slim Version
w/ no toolbar. In it's options it has up to 7 times over-write of files to be cleaned (NSA standard). Also get from below or from same link on
CCleaner front page:

2) To recover deleted files (all) Freeware: http://www.recuva.com/

Recover the files to recycle bin then w/ CCleaner set to clean recycle bin at 7 times over-write ...clean. I use 3 times but to be extra sure....time to finish increases w/ higher O/W. Good Luck! Happy

Collapse -
Also, Freeware Spybot S&D Has....
by tobeach / August 9, 2008 4:24 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Complete Removal of Deleted Files from Hard Drive!
by dawline / August 16, 2008 3:26 PM PDT

Thanks for all the help I recieved. I have enough amunition now to carry out a successful attempt to remove deleted files from my Hard Drive!

Again Thanks;

Dawline

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?