Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Re: Changing from Summertime to Wintertime

by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 31, 2004 10:38 PM PST

I had a weird problem yesterday, and just wanted to share it with everyone, Happy

I live in the UK and Saturday night/Sunday morning Oct 30th/31st was the day for our GMT to "lose" an hour. I don't know if this happens all over the world, or just some countries. We actually get an hour extra in bed, although it means evenings get darker earlier.

Now I think Windows is a fantastic piece of programming. It has its faults I know, (but then so do we all), but I am really impressed with the way my PC automatically adjusts the clock for daylight saving changes, without any intervention for me.

Windows XP is even better than Windows 9x or ME. Those OS's give a little warning message on boot up whenever they adjust the clock, and I have to click OK. Windows XP just gets on with the job, and doesn't seek approval, or reassurance.

So, Sunday morning when I got up, (after having luxuriated in an extra hours sleep), I booted up my PC, and, (I regret to admit), not trusting Windows, I checked the time, and the Date and Time Properties, to make sure it had done this "little" job for me. I did the same for my other PC, running ME, and sure enough, there was the approval message on the ME machine, "I did this thing, ok?"

WIndows XP stood proud, and showed me what it had done, and the time and date was good, and the world was at peace.

I checked my emails (using Netscape Messenger), and was a little surprised when I got a couple of CNET newsletters from August 2004, (perhaps I hadn't received them before and they had got lost in the internet sub-ether and just found their way to my computer), and just a bit more surprised when I received mail dated 2002. But as it was spam I let Netscape junk it for me. But these things never concerned me. After all, my date and time had been adjusted, and all was well with the world.

I then connected to these CNET forums, and started reading a few posts. I could see one that needed my immediate attention. My expertise and knowledge was called for and I could see that the other replies the poster had received were simply not up to my high standard!

I logged on. I signed in with my email address and my password, and clicked "submit". I was "mildly" annoyed when the CNET Registration page appeared. This had happened once or twice before, and I accepted that, perhaps, CNET was defragging it's user database, (or some such high tech procedure), and I would have to "be patient" and wait awhile.

So, 5 minutes later, Happy I tried again. Another reply had been posted and clearly this also fell well short of my supreme level of knowledge and response. But yet again, I got the CNET Registration page. Annoyed, (now), I returned to the sign in page and double checked my password. I could see that my vastly superior memory was not at fault and hit "Submit" again. Yet again I was transported with indecent haste to the registration page.

I backed up yet again. Perhaps, somehow, my superior intellect had failed. I decided to swallow the pill and ask for a "Lost password" email. Almost immediately a new password arrived, and I eagerly, (I was becoming more anxious by this time that I was unable to provide the questionner with the reply that he needed, craved for), submitted my email address and "new" password.

To my horror, (I have watched A Nightmare on Elm Street", and "Alien", and all the other horror movies), my nemesis returned. I was back at the registration page.

Decisive action was called for. This was becoming personal. CNET "WOULD NOT" beat me. I would slay the dragon and come up victorious. I completed the fields in the CNET Registration page and clicked "Submit".

CNET, (that "Ba***rd"), fought back. "This email address is already in use by another person", it shouted at me, breathing red fire!!

I was cowed, I was defeated. I slunk, (slunk? is that a word?), away into a dark despairing corner. But I knew I would be back, bigger, better, stronger than ever.

I had a cup of tea.

Refreshed, Revitalised, (I had spoken to my mother on the phone too, and she had comforted me with soothing words), I returned to the battle.

Yet again I faced my foe. Yet again I looked my fears straight in the eye. "Come on then", I shouted, defiantly, "do your worse". I decided on a sneak attack. I battled my way to the "Change password option" and entered my new password and my new, new password, (well, I know what I mean if no-one else does), and clicked "Submit". But again, CNET was too clever, too tricky. I was returned to the "Change password" screen.

I had another cup of tea. Mother could not console me.

By his time I was exhausted. I had battled the beast for 8 hours off and on. (Well, I stopped for lunch, and had an afternoon nap in-between. Ohh, and I watched Star Trek Voyager, the 5th repeat on cable tv). I decided to close down the PC, take to my bed, and snuggle up to my teddy bear.

But just as I hovered the mouse pointer over the "Shutdown" button I thought, "I wonder........... , I wonder if it is my PC that is harbouring my inner beast"."Surely not. I TRUST Windows XP with my life!"

Nevertheless, I clicked "Restart" instead. When the PC had rebooted, I opened up CNET.com, navigated to the forums page, and logged on.

Hey Presto! I was in. Quickly, eagerly, I found that poor soul who had been deprived of my expertise and enormous wealth of knowledge. There had been many posts, all, I was sure, deficient in their content. But there was one final post, from the original questionner.

"Hey guys, many thanks for all your help. I did what you said and it worked liked a dream. Thank you all".

Finally, the beast had defeated me.

And the moral of this story is?

Who said, "you're obviously not as clever as you thought"??????

The moral is, "never trust that bloody Windows!"

Mark

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Re: Changing from Summertime to Wintertime
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Re: Changing from Summertime to Wintertime
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi, Mark
by MarciaB / October 31, 2004 10:53 PM PST

Nice to see that, after all that, you finally made it back on CNET!! What a story Happy

And, yes, "slunk" is a word:

From Merriam-Webster:
Main Entry: 1slink
Pronunciation: 'sli[ng]k
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): slunk /'sl&[ng]k/; also slinked /'sli[ng](k)t/; slink

Collapse -
Re: Hello there
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 1, 2004 12:04 AM PST
In reply to: Hi, Mark

Marcia I think you're very sad.

All that effort and work, just for the word slunk, (grin).

But thank you anyway,

Mark

Collapse -
Sad?
by MarciaB / November 1, 2004 12:10 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Hello there

No! Not in the least! Not even bored.

I read your story of what happened. The comment of wondering whether "slunk" was a word or not stuck in my mind. I was a professional secretary for many years before doing the things I do now (Hospice social worker and computer tech - strange combo, I suppose, but it works Happy ).

Anyway, I just had to look it up for you. The M-W website is in favorites - took only a minute or so to find and c/p.

BTW, you write very well. I enjoyed.

Take care,
--Marcia

Collapse -
Re: Sad?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 1, 2004 12:14 AM PST
In reply to: Sad?

Thank you very much Marcia,

And I was grinning when I said you were sad. I didn't mean it at all, Happy

Mark

Collapse -
Re: BTW Marcia
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 1, 2004 4:02 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Sad?

By the way, I have just visited Merriam-Webster online.

I never knew it existed. What a wonderful site and I have added it to my favorites as well.

Many thanks, again.

Mark

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome :)
by MarciaB / November 1, 2004 10:47 AM PST
In reply to: Re: BTW Marcia
Collapse -
by Cindi Haynes / November 1, 2004 12:50 AM PST

Hi Mark,

Enjoyed your tale of woe, sad to say! Next time you get that confounded screen, look in the upper left hand corner...there's a little link saying "Already Registered?" I think you'll find some satisfaction there.

Happy

Welcome to Speakeasy!

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 1, 2004 3:57 AM PST

LOL, yes I did see that "Already registered?" link, and forgot to include that in my battle of daring do.

I had clicked that once, twice, thrice or more, only to be beaten back to the "sign in page" whence all my troubles seemed to eminate.

In the end, it was, really, my own lack of apprehension, (or is that comprehension?), that, having received unusually dated emails I should have been forewarned that all was not right.

Mark

Collapse -
Man, you sure made the rest of my day, tears rolling ..
by W2X3XP / November 1, 2004 3:01 AM PST

It may have been stressful for you but the way you tell it I laughted all the way through. Thank you!

Collapse -
Re: Man, you sure made the rest of my day, tears rolling ..
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 1, 2004 4:06 AM PST

W2X3XP,

I'm full of joy that my day of woe, despair, and defeat has made you laugh, Happy

You're welcome,

Mark

Collapse -
Re: Man, you sure made the rest of my day, tears rolling ..
by W2X3XP / November 1, 2004 4:32 AM PST

Next time you have a "day of woe, despair, and defeat" please tell us about it in the same way, OK? LOL

I have learned that sometimes a reboot can indeed perform a miracle of sorts. This story confirms it.

Need more markflaxism on the board. netsky, markflax, Crowfoot, I enjoy the reads.

Collapse -
Nicely done Mark
by Ziks511 / November 1, 2004 4:12 AM PST

And at least in Canada and the US we have the same system of "Spring forward, Fall back". But you're right, England being so far north, night certainly does come early but in exchange you get those glorious long summer evenings which actually get longer the farther north you get, counter-intuitive though that may seem. I lived in Essex for 5 years (please hold your sympathy) and my family originated in Scotland where I have visited. I was astonished at how bright it was at 10:30 at night.
Glad you beat Windows, though XP is a significant improvement.

Rob Boyter

Collapse -
Great thoughts...
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / November 1, 2004 11:13 AM PST

Remarkably written, I enjoyed the moral story and thank you.

Welcome to the place. Wink

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.