PC Hardware forum

General discussion

re-building old computer not booting

by teawoo / October 10, 2005 1:19 AM PDT

I'm re-building my old computer from parts that I've upgraded. My problem is I cant get it to boot, even with a barebones set-up with just a stick of ram and video card, both of which worked on the motherboard. The power comes on and the cpu fan spins, but no beeps and the monitor remains black as if it's not going into the bios. I've removed the cmos battery and unplugged the motherboard and waited over 10 mins, (no cmos jumper)and still no change. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: re-building old computer not booting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: re-building old computer not booting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Look at...
by Willy / October 10, 2005 2:23 AM PDT

Does it do anything? If not, check power the best you can, don't rely on it worked before, prove it. You can even remove the cpu and see if it beeps in protest. If it doesn't do that and you know power is good, then recheck "everything", you can't take anything for granted, check on another system, one item at a time if possible.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
But you told us ZERO about
by Ray Harinec / October 10, 2005 3:12 AM PDT

what changes you made, what mobo, etc.

Did you change the CPU, HSF, ????

Collapse -
set up...
by teawoo / October 10, 2005 8:43 AM PDT

Gigabyte 7zx motherboard with AMD 750mhz cpu with original hsf, kingston 256 megs of ram, geforce 64 meg video card. All worked together in the past, only difference is it was supplied with a 250w psu that is now burnt so I'm using a 400w psu that came with the case.

Collapse -
The new PS should not be causing any problem
by Ray Harinec / October 10, 2005 11:01 AM PDT
In reply to: set up...

assuming that it is good.

You didn't finish the statement regarding the BIOS battery et al. I assume that you put the CMOS jumper in the correct place.

If all you did was remove the old supply and install the new one, the only liklihood is that something did not get connected properly.

Of course this writer is suspicious that you accidently failed to tell us some other detail.

Collapse -
but thanks anyways
by teawoo / October 12, 2005 7:16 AM PDT

''You didn't finish the statement regarding the BIOS battery et al. I assume that you put the CMOS jumper in the correct place.''

no cmos jumper...see first post

''Of course this writer is suspicious that you accidently failed to tell us some other detail.''

sigh....barebones setup

''The new PS should not be causing any problem''

changed psu and everything works now...but thanks anyways

Collapse -
Can you tell us what fixed it??? Also
by Ray Harinec / October 12, 2005 8:18 AM PDT
In reply to: but thanks anyways

Mobo's without the jCMOS jumper often have two sloder points that one shorts with a screwdriver tip to reset the BIOS. The mobo manual shows the location.

My asus A7V133 was one such.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.