General discussion

? re: Address Book File

I know I'm supposed to provide info about PC; however, I'm helping a neighbor who I know he has Windows 98.

He would like to transfer his address book from his PC to a floppy. I told him to do a Find File for *.wab. He says he cannot make the transfer work.

He uses Juno --- is there another file name we should search for?

Thank you -- Julea

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: ? re: Address Book File
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: ? re: Address Book File
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Does he say why?

Why doesn't the transfer work?

He can try "Exporting" his address book to a file, then copying that to a floppy.

But we need to know what the problem is frst.

Mark

- Collapse -
? re: Address Book File

Well, I never tried that before but I just did and the xfer seems to function.

What does...'He says he cannot make the transfer work.' mean?

- Collapse -
Thanks Mark and Bob ---- think I'll have to go over and see

what is really going on. I posted here because I thought there might be a different file than the *.wab. I'll check further and let you know the end result.

I appreciate your responses.

Julea

- Collapse -
Julea, Which Version Of Juno?

There were some older versions of Juno which used their own address book which was stored on the computer. The mail addresses were actually stored in the Juno Program folder, in a text file named "addrbook.nv" in the specific user folder called: "User0000" or a numerical version for each user.. Copying the "UserXXXX" folder to a CD would back up all of the information needed.

The newer versions of Juno such as the current version 7 do NOT use the same system. There are options for maintaining two different type of address books. The "online" webmail which is the required default for the "free" users of Juno can be backed up by simply highlighting all of the text in the address book and copying it to a word processing document...Then again, remember that the webmail addresses are stored on the Juno server...Although it would be good to back them up,,I don't think that Juno will lose them.

The "paid for" Platinum versions of Juno have the option to use the webmail variety of to download to an e-mail client such as Outlook Express or Outlook, or any other POP3 mail client...In the last case, you can back up addresses in the same manner as any other OE or Outlook.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Gri f-- have U been hugged today; if not U have now! (LOL)!

Thank you very much for coming to my aid. I felt like there was another file name out there somewhere -- just didn't know what it was.

We were able to copy my neighbor's address book fine by searching for the addrbook.nv file -- which was on his PC. It went like clockwork. I did do a search for "address" but not "addr"

I appreciate your response to my post --- and my neighbor thanks you too.

Julea

CNET Forums

Forum Info