Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

re-activation problems

by ddar / June 22, 2005 9:28 AM PDT

i am using xp home service pack 2.about 3 days ago when i logon i have a message that windows must be activated within 7 days.click yes or no to activate now,or cancel.when i click yes,it says my windows are already activated.now i am down to 5 days and the same thing.can any one tell me what my problem is?and how i can fix it?please?!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: re-activation problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: re-activation problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you...
by Papa Echo / June 22, 2005 9:47 AM PDT
In reply to: re-activation problems

in fact, activated Windows ? Do you still have that code, and your licence ?

Collapse -
yes i am
by ddar / June 22, 2005 10:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Have you...

i have been activated for a couple of months.i had a virus and had to re-format.it has been smooth for the past 2 months or so.

Collapse -
You have a few days to backup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2005 10:09 AM PDT
In reply to: yes i am

Some new pests are damaging to this OS. Just out of curiosity, do you have an idea how a virus got on the machine?

-> Again, your OS may have taken some uncorrectable damage. You have some time to get your files backed up and get ready to reload.

Bob

Collapse -
ms?
by ddar / June 22, 2005 10:33 AM PDT

any way to contact microsoft to see if they are responsible?

Collapse -
I'll write no. Not their virus.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2005 10:41 AM PDT
In reply to: ms?

But it's your data files, which they will not backup for you.

That said, you can call them and pay up for the support. It's not their fault for the virus damage, so I think they won't do this for free.

Collapse -
Just FYI...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2005 10:44 AM PDT
In reply to: yes i am

You didn't reveal the name of the virus. Some are nasty and you may have some residual damage somewhere or a file that you didn't catch later.

-> Also, why no story about how you thought the virus got in? Did you try to get by without Antivirus software?

Please tell.

Bob

Collapse -
antivirus
by ddar / June 22, 2005 11:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Just FYI...

i was using panda av,and it hit it so i could not acsess the av.i dont know the name of the virus.guess im not as smart as you huh?

Collapse -
ddar, you came here for free help. Please...
by Papa Echo / June 22, 2005 11:37 AM PDT
In reply to: antivirus

help us to help you. Tell your story. Provide information. We need clues to work on.

You mentioned you were using Panda for anti virus, and it seems it gave you some problems. What did you do about the problems ? Are you now still using Panda ? If not, what ? What are your doing for anti-worms, anti-wooden horses and other parasites ? And what showed up with your last scan ? When was it ? Which browser are you using ? After that reformat, did you transfer anything back ?

Collapse -
now
by ddar / June 22, 2005 11:45 AM PDT

i am using norton o5 now when i scan it shows no virus.i have adaware se which i run every few days.i didnt put anything back on that i had before.the first thing i did was put norton on.anything i download i scan before i use.im at a loss here

Collapse -
Strange....
by Papa Echo / June 22, 2005 1:25 PM PDT
In reply to: now

...maybe not. Have you changed anything in conjunction with your reformat (I assume you have reactivate after the reformat ?), e.g. change of memory, hard disks, motherboard, or anything to make it a "different" computer ?

As Bob suggusted, do backup your files now --you can just make copies to a CD..., and if you still have your licence and product key, (you did not answer)you can still use the activation code you used previously to activate your legal copy of Windows, if it is the "same" computer.

Collapse -
It sometimes helps to know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2005 12:04 PM PDT
In reply to: antivirus

I can read that you may be upset about it, and what I'm doing is digging for clues.

Many of the pests get in via doors we leave open. Such as leaving PREVIEW enabled in some email clients. No one knows this until they are told.

Hope we can find a cure, but as it stands you get to save what you can for the reload.

Bob

Collapse -
Here's a thought. Firewall?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2005 12:24 PM PDT
In reply to: re-activation problems

There was this one person who could not activate due to their firewall. The story is similar to yours. Some virus got in and afterwards the thought was "I'm going to set all security to MAXIMUM."

I wonder if your firewall is blocking the activation.

In closing, Norton does little about SPYWARE, so be sure you have that covered.

Bob

Collapse -
firewall
by ddar / June 22, 2005 12:30 PM PDT

i was activated.i am using the windows firewall.i had sygate when i used panda.i thought it was no good if it let the virus in and didnt reinstall it.im not very good at this.

Collapse -
It is possible.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2005 11:50 PM PDT
In reply to: firewall

That you firewalled it too hard. Many use firewalls but never learn to control and configure them. I get beat up since I don't teach firewalls. Sorry, just a wierd personal policy. It's because the information is in the help files and out on the web plus this is quite a small box to write in.

You may have divulged another clue. There are issues that occur if one installs 2 or more Antivirus or firewalls. Even if we uninstall Norton (for example), tidbits remain that could interfere.

The lesson here is that we should choose 1 antivirus and 1 firewall or learn how to clean out the crumbs left behind.

How's the backup going?

Bob

Collapse -
have you tried phone activation
by balancedview / June 23, 2005 10:40 AM PDT
In reply to: It is possible.

You did not say if you have the XP Key numbers from your original install disk or manual or authentication sticker. Do you?

If you do, you might try the phone activation method, where you call MS up, input your key numbers, and get back a series of numbers to enter into the Windows XP validation screen. (I forget the exact names, as it was a while back that I did this).

Collapse -
phone act
by ddar / June 23, 2005 11:08 AM PDT

yes i have the disc,the key code,and the sticker on the side of my dell,just as it was when i bought it.i have not tried to use the phone activation,as i cant seem to find the number.where would it be?thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.