Speakeasy forum

General discussion

RCMP rebuked for probe of reporter

by Mark5019 / October 20, 2006 12:29 AM PDT

OTTAWA (CP) - An Ontario judge has struck down key portions of Canada's national secrecy law, tossed out RCMP warrants used to search a reporter's home, and delivered yet another stinging rebuke to the Mounties over the Maher Arar affair.

Justice Lynn Ratushny of Ontario Superior Court, in a ruling Thursday, quashed three sections of the so-called leakage provisions of the Security of Information Act, passed following the 9-11 terrorist attacks on the United States.

The provisions were used by the RCMP on a frosty morning in January 2004 to search the home and office of Ottawa Citizen reporter Juliet O'Neill, in an attempt to find the source of leaked information about the Arar case that had embarrassed the force.

The sections of the law that were struck down were drawn directly from the decades-old Official Secrets Act, long criticized as archaic and poorly drafted. They dealt with communicating, receiving and failing to return official information

seems we americans arent alone on fools:(

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: RCMP rebuked for probe of reporter
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: RCMP rebuked for probe of reporter
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Now lets see
by JP Bill / October 20, 2006 12:54 AM PDT

if the government changes the law so the RCMP will be able to do what they couldn't do before.

Collapse -
but as were in a war
by Mark5019 / October 20, 2006 1:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Now lets see

and i guess canadas in afganistain for a cook out:)

Collapse -
by JP Bill / October 20, 2006 2:03 AM PDT
In reply to: but as were in a war
List of critical Canadian incidents in Afghanistan

This is a list of major incidents in Afghanistan, primarily involving Canadian forces but also some other coalition personnel operating in southeastern Afghanistan. It includes incidents where they died, were injured, where they engaged insurgents or where they may have inadvertently injured or killed Afghan civilians.

you said

i guess canadas in afganistain for a cook out

As my good buddy Jack Ammann has said "you're sick, sick, sick"
Collapse -
This is the second time (if you're just counting the really
by Ziks511 / October 20, 2006 6:10 AM PDT

big news stories) that the RCMP has screwed up big-time. Before we even got here, back in the 1970's, the RCMP were completely reorganized for doing old FBI-like things like wire-taps without a warrant, and breaking into offices of organizations supporting controversial causes and stealing files under the guise of a robbery. The Canadian government then set up a separate "Intelligence" service which tends to get really bad press, although there have been some good combined operations with the FBI. Unfortunately they're the ones that also identified an innocent man as a member of a terrorist organization after which the FBI arrested him on a stop-over in New York as he was returning to Canada, and shipped him off to Syria for a year of "special interrogation".

After a two year inquiry, he's been found absolutely and totally innocent, and there's going to be serious law suits over his kidnapping and illegal shipment and torture.

I blame Canada for fingering the guy, but the US are the ones who used the Syrians for their " special interrogation methods" which sound a lot like torture when you read the stories. Even John McCain doesn't like the sound of this guy's case.

Collapse -
well rob
by Mark5019 / October 20, 2006 6:21 AM PDT

canada uses the usa to save them and protect them
evan your boarder guards arent trusted to be armed.
but go on knock your protectors if it makes you feel less impotant.

and if you kept your muslums under control less probs but we wont go there eh:)

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?