Storage forum

General discussion

RAW external drive, i can't get anything back

by Eitan_spread_peace / June 22, 2005 12:24 PM PDT

hello,
ive tried numerous things to revive my Buffalo 120 GB external hd.
I have tried from recovery programs, such as ontrack's easy recovery and actives undelete, and yet i am still getting nothing back
the problem started about 8 months back when everything was going great, and i forgot to "safely remove hardware" or hit the little green arrow before unplugging.
so now the drive is not recognized, it is a RAW drive, and i cant even convert it in command prompt. every time i try to access the drive it says would you like to format now? and i always click no, because i think there might be a way to get everything back
but theres a question, if i format it to be NTFS or whatever, is it possible to do a format recovery using Recovermyfiles?
it would mean so much if somebody could just give a great solution to this annoying and time-wasting problem.
thanks
eitan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: RAW external drive, i can't get anything back
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: RAW external drive, i can't get anything back
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try a KNOPPIX CD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2005 11:06 PM PDT
Collapse -
thanks, but im not exactly sure
by Eitan_spread_peace / June 24, 2005 5:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Try a KNOPPIX CD.

thanks for the suggestion, but im not exactly sure what a knoppix cd is, if u can explain wat to do, or how i do it
that would be of GREAT help, and if this doesnt work i will just call buffalo and see if i can recover it, which was another great suggestion
thanks
eitan

Collapse -
It seems...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2005 12:25 PM PDT

You didn't read the supplied link. It showed what Knoppix can do for you and how they used it to access files and more.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
alrite thanks, im going to try that next
by Eitan_spread_peace / June 24, 2005 11:04 PM PDT
In reply to: It seems...

the knoppix cd is downloading now, im not sure if i downloaded the right thing tho
i also tried a program called testdisk, which was the closest ive gotten, but i got confused with what to do next, because it said everything was ok
so I will now try the knoppix cd
thanks again
eitan

Collapse -
Call manufacturer
by jackintucson / June 23, 2005 3:19 AM PDT

Eitan,

Call Buffalo Tech Support... Your drive is less than a yr. old so they should talk to you. I can't imagine them not having a recovery procedure for this type of failure.

regards,
Jack

Collapse -
THANKS
by Eitan_spread_peace / June 25, 2005 5:19 AM PDT

thanks everybody for ALL OF your suggestions
i FINALLY was able to recover my drive, and it was soooo simple, i feel so stupid
I downloaded a shareware program called Partition Table Doctor, i ran fixboot, which rewrote my boot sector, and after one second, i was able to open my drive
I HIGHLY recommend this program, considering it was done in no time,
I am going to go celebrate,
thanks again
eitan Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.