Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

RaveMP virus...maybe?

by artms / March 5, 2005 1:21 AM PST

I was using the radio setting at the gym and the Rave turned off. When I tried to turn it on I got a sad face and a bug.(looks like a termite or an ant) Can't find info on it so I assume it's a virus but thought just a low battery. Charged it and attached to pc and seemed normal. Looked at files and turned off. When tried to attach to pc again it would not show up and I
got the bug icon again. It won't turn on at all. Don't know how I could have a bug I haven't downloaded anything. I did a system restore but that didn't help. Attached to different usb ports...nada. The only new thing is that there were automatic updates installed for Service 2. I have xp.
Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: RaveMP virus...maybe?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: RaveMP virus...maybe?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
From google...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2005 4:16 AM PST
In reply to: RaveMP virus...maybe?

"From the rave site faq:
Q:
When pressing the Power Button on the RaveMP AMP unit, it does not power on.

A:
If when pressing the Power button on the RaveMP AMP, the MP3 player does not come on, please check the Hold Key button on the unit. It the Hold Key button is OFF, please proceed with taking the AAA battery out, then put it back in. This should bring the MP3 player back up and running.

Q:
RaveMP/ILO USB players do not show up in Windows Explorer or in My Computer.

A:
When a RaveMP or ILO MP3 players is installed correctly, it will show up as a Removable Drive or USB Mass Storage Device in Windows Explorer or in My Computer.

If your RaveMP or ILO MP3 players do not show up as a Removable Drive under Windows XP, you may need to manually map your disk drives, expecially if your computer is connected to a network or if you have multiple drives.

1. Plug the RaveMP or ILO plyer into an available USB port.

2. Log Off the network.

3. Restart the computer, and log in as Administrator or a User Account with full Administration privileges.

4. Click on My Computer, the RaveMP or ILO should be listed as a Removable drive. If it is not listed, plug the RaveMP or ILO into a different USB port.

5. Click on Start, Control Panel, then double click on Administrative Toold, then Computer Management.

6. Locate and highlight the drive letter assigned to RaveMP or ILO.

7. Click the Action tab, All Tasks, then Change Drive Letter and Paths.

8. Select the drive letter assigned to RaveMP or ILO, then click on Change, and the drive to one that is not one of your regular drives, for example, change the drive letter from F: to Q:

If your system hangs when you try to change the drive letter, unplug your player from your computer, and to to the Windows Control Panel, double click on Add/Remove Programs. Locate the program associated with your device, and uninstall it. Restart the computer, and try to change the drive letter again.

9. Restart the computer and log on to your network. The RaveMP or ILO should be displayed as a removable drive with the new drive letter.

Q:
How do audio songs/files get deleted/removed/taken off/get rid of from the MP3 player?

A:
You will need to plug your MP3 player to a PC/Mac to delete any audio files you have loaded on to your internal or external memory of your MP3 player. Once you plug the unit via USB, you will click on MY COMPUTER on your desktop and find the removable drive labeled RAVE-MP. Once you click on your removable drive, you should see all of the files you have loaded on to your player. You may then delete each file you wish to take off of the MP3 player.

NOTE Files must be deleted using this process and cannot be deleted through third party software like Windows Media Player."

I do not have a firm answer for you. If this doesn't help, call the support lines.

Bob

Collapse -
Update FYI
by artms / March 7, 2005 1:14 AM PST
In reply to: RaveMP virus...maybe?

Turns out the icon I recieved of a sad face next to a bug means the battery is defective and the unit must be returned.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.