General discussion

Rapid but temporary loss of hard drive space

I have been experiencing a rapid but temporary loss of hard drive space. About 400GB are free when computer turned on however this free space declines at a rate of about 50 - 60GB per hour untill space runs out and the computer stops working. The free space is restored upon a restart. Computer is a HP running Vista with updated Norton 360 protection software. Any ideas on what is happening?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Rapid but temporary loss of hard drive space
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Rapid but temporary loss of hard drive space
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: temporary loss of disk space
- Collapse -
Re: temporary loss of disk space - Scan results

I believe I have identified the file that is changing volume with time. Thank you for the programs noted above, the first of which was the most help. The suspect file is identified as logfile.etl. I'm not conversant with what this file does or whether it is a legitimate file or somehow malfunctioning. Any ideas?

- Collapse -
Re: logfile.etl
- Collapse -
logfile.etl & computime.xml - Decay of Hard drive memory

Kees
My problem now seems to be resolved. I initially uninstalled Mechanic Registry but no initial stop to the memory decay was apparent. I also tried to remove the logfile.etl file but could not able to delete as it was noted to be "in use" by some application. Upon a reboot the C drive available space decay had ceased but about 100GB's had been frozen in the cputime.xml file which is a subfile of sMonitor which is within the PC Tools file. I subsquenlty deleted the cputime.xml file and the 100 GB's free space was restored.
The bleeding has been stopped and I now hope that the file deletion does not impare any other regualar computer functions.
Thanks, Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info