TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

rant: Comcast hooked up my HD with S-video.

by CyclonicKitten / June 5, 2008 2:14 AM PDT

So i was at work and Comcast was supposed to come to my place and hook up my two HD tvs (lg42 plasma and Samsung 40A550) with HD cable service. My father in-law was waiting at the house for them. They come in and the guy was a complete doorknob. He left all my downstairs doors wide open, anyone could have walked in and took whatever they wanted since my father in-law was upstairs. He hooked up my sammy fine with component cables, sure i would have liked HDMI but its no biggie. But then the guy forgot to hook up two other standard def TVs in other rooms and finally he went to hook up my plasma to HD and told my father in-law that the cable we had going from the box to the TV originally (S-Video) was better than what he was gonna hook it up with. So i had to call reschedule another appointment so i could get another set of component cables and get my other two tvs hooked up. Anyway just wanted to tell my story.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: rant: Comcast hooked up my HD with S-video.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: rant: Comcast hooked up my HD with S-video.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by CyclonicKitten / June 5, 2008 2:15 AM PDT

Oh and i forgot. Then when i called them to reschedule the guy told me that it was normal for them to be hooking it up with s-video! buhhhh???!

Collapse -
s-vid is better than component
by srtdrgdfgdr / June 5, 2008 3:34 AM PDT
In reply to: oops

if you are going for the nosalgiac days of vhs and analog cell phones

Collapse -
Correction: Component is better than S-Video
by NM_Bill / June 25, 2008 11:50 AM PDT

Check it out.

However, S-Video is better than composite.

Collapse -
Comcast is awful
by HatecrewDr / June 5, 2008 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: oops

Seriously if you have any other options in your area I would recommend switching. My parents had 9 service calls at their house for their internet and surprisingly it still isn't working entirely correctly. They are such a joke. Plus the quality of their HD picture is behind most other television providers. AT & T has a new television service coming out as does verizon. Or there's always DishNetwork and DirecTV. I have DirecTV and it has been amazing for me. I live in Illinois and with all the snow we got this year I only had one problem where my dish wasn't working otherwise it's been perfect.

Collapse -
by bevillan / June 5, 2008 2:25 AM PDT

Yeah I don't really ever trust cable/satellite service guys with anything of mine. When I moved to Santa Fe I wanted a HD-DVR with HDMI output but the idiot gave me one with DVI instead and claimed that they didn't have HDMI ones yet. Well I went to their office the next day and they had like 5 HDMI HD-DVRs sitting in the lobby so I exhchanged for one of them.

Let's just say that cable technicians aren't exactly well educated folks sometimes.

Collapse -
Oh forgot to add
by bevillan / June 5, 2008 3:27 AM PDT
In reply to: lol

I forgot to add that the Comcast service technician that gave me the DVI box didn't even know what HDMI was until I explained it to him.

Collapse -
While were at it...
by RustyDallas / June 5, 2008 6:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh forgot to add

I appreciate the opportunity to throw Time Warner under the bus. They too only have component cables available. As cheap as HDMI has gotten, I don't get it. Just bought a high def TV for my grandmother a week ago. Even though she is an existing Time Warner customer, they haven't figured out how to get her a high def signal yet. They've called in a supervisor and are at her house for the third day. As we speak, they're still there and trying to figure out how all of this new fangled cable stuff works.

Collapse -
Have to share mine then...
by lonewolfette9847 / July 6, 2008 1:51 PM PDT
In reply to: While were at it...

It isn't an HD story, but we moved recently & had Time Warner come in to hook up our new basic service. Of course, I have my set up all wired up & read to go. I have a VCR & DVD recorder connected to the TV. I like changing channels on whichever device I'm using so I have a splitter on the cable line, then a coaxial cable leading to the VCR & the DVD recorder. One of the TW guys asked me what the splitter was.

I had to explain my set up to the guy! On top of that, they SWITCHED one of the coaxial cables that had been connected for... ANOTHER coaxial cable! I've yet to figure out the point to that, but atleast it was a newer wire than the one I'd had on there. Wink

Collapse -
sounds like you where lucky
by gabereyes / June 5, 2008 7:11 AM PDT

most cable or sat guys hookup the box with a coax cable to the TV, plus with cable sometimes youll need to setup the resolution in a special menu, and they never do this for you.

frankly Im surprised it works at all.

you would be suprised how many returns I get on TV's because the customer didnt like the picture quality, because they thought it was hooked up right and cable told them its a bad TV.

Collapse -
Thanksgiving that just passed...
by stuntman_mike / June 5, 2008 7:22 AM PDT

I went over to my cousin's house for dinner. He had bought an HDTV (DLP, yuck lol) the year before.

I sat down to watch the game and as soon as it came on, I looked at her husband and said what is this. He said what do you mean? I said, ok, one of two things is going on here. Either you don't have HD service or you don't have it on an HD channel. He checked the guide and it was in fact an HD channel. I said, this is not HD.

I went to the back of the set and it was hooked up with S-video lol. He got a component cable from a DVD player that he had upstairs and I hooked it up. He saw the HD picture for the first time lol.

He says to me, how come you didn't come over last year lol?

Oh Btw, he had Direct TV. Cable doesn't have the market cornered on idiots Happy

Collapse -
VZ Fios
by dinox64 / June 5, 2008 11:17 AM PDT

Our guys go through HDMI like they were candy.

Collapse -
by CyclonicKitten / June 24, 2008 2:23 PM PDT

Ya, my wifes aunt has a 56" Hitachi plasma (yuck as well) anyway they had "HD" for a year and a half with Comcast. They had it hooked up with composite cables!!! I had been to there house but never sat down to watch TV until a year and a half. She was perfectly happy with it until i said "what the duece!" "This isnt HD!" same as you stuntman. Anyway i went to Fred Meyers and bought an HDMI cable (one for a ps3, no diff btw) plugged it in and she about pooped her pants because of the difference. She is a HUGE NFL fan, so the change from SD to HD on the NFL channel was HUGE to her! Its sad cable/satellite companies feed of people's ignorance. Anyway, moral of the story ALWAYS demand the best cables from your provider, nothing less than component if your have HD service.

Collapse -
by stewart norrie / June 26, 2008 6:48 AM PDT

cable and satellite installers do the install as cheap as possible When Dish network set up my hi-def box they used componit cables and picture quality was so ugly I was told that I needed a h.d.m.i. cable but I would have to buy a h.d.m.i. cable on my own it wasent included in the instrallation O well I bought the cable and bam beautiful 1080I picture steweee

Collapse -
by CyclonicKitten / June 26, 2008 3:03 PM PDT
In reply to: THE TRUTH IS

Hey, i would take component cables anyday for my Hi-def installation, atleast it will allow Hi-def through to my TV. S-video does not which is what they hooked my box up with. By the way, you got lied to Stewart. You do NOT need an HDMI cable to allow hi def. Component cables will allow 1080i. The problem probably had to do with the fact that Dish Network didnt set the box options to output 1080i through component. You have to go into the options and turn up the setting from 480i to 1080i or 720p. However, if you ment they hooked it up with composite cables then your right they will not allow hi def through. A lot of people get component cables and composites mixed up.

Collapse -
by stewart norrie / July 8, 2008 3:05 AM PDT
In reply to: component

After Dish Network installed there vip222 system using componit vidio and optical cable the picture was unwatchable I was told that the install included componit cables only Next day I replaced with a h.d.m.i. cable and BAM stunning. Also some folks say they get a perfect picture using componit cables ? I would recomed try using both. stewee

Collapse -
Another thing about Comcast
by bevillan / July 8, 2008 1:58 AM PDT

I live in Santa Fe, NM and was recently up in Fort Collins, CO (just a 6.5 hour drive away) and it was crazy how much better the Comcast service is in Colorado than in New Mexico. Their OnDemand had about 5 times the amount of HD content and got more channels for cheaper than I pay. I know NM isn't a very techie state, but come on.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?