Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Range printing from MS Word Merge Doc

I am having problems printing just a range of pages from a Word 2000 merged document., EG printing 5-8 from a 15 page doc - current page and full doc will print.

Any help please

Thanks

Dave Cooper

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Range printing from MS Word Merge Doc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Range printing from MS Word Merge Doc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The simple workaround.

In reply to: Range printing from MS Word Merge Doc

Since you only need 4 pages, go to page 5 and print that page. Then page 6, print etc.

It's only 4 times so you can get it done and move on.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: The simple workaround.

Thanks - that's exactly how I got around it this time but there are instances when I want to do it maybe 7 or 8 times from a doc with maybe 6 pages at a time!

Collapse -
Fix!

In reply to: Thanks

Collapse -
All Page 1

In reply to: Range printing from MS Word Merge Doc

I have always had a problem with this. When doing a merge Word makes all of the pages Page 1. If you have to do this on a regular basis, have you tried filtering the merge so you only get the pages you need?

Collapse -
Never had this problem ...

In reply to: All Page 1

as far as I remember, when merging to a new document, then printing the new document. And if there's a problem, it should be circumvented by saving this new document, then reopening it. It surely is a normal document then.

Kees

Collapse -
Just tried it

In reply to: Never had this problem ...

Kees,

The solution here was to us the section printing option that another user noted. If you just try to print page 1, you get all of the pages because they are all page 1. When merging Word automatically puts in section breaks. In my test I had 11 names. After the merge I had 11 pages in 1 document, but there were 11 sections with 11 page 1. If you tell Word to print page 1, you get all 11.

I didn't go back to see who had posted the solution, or the link to the solution, but word allows you to specify specific sections, and this will get the job done.

Collapse -
re: mail merge

In reply to: Just tried it

Entrecon,

I tried it also at home, and I must admit that either I remembered it wrong, or another version of Word did it differently. In a few weeks I'll be able to try it again where I did it originally (in a production-like environment).

All sections generated have the property to start at page 1, indeed. It doesn't seem logical, but it's the way it works. I didn't know the section-page-syntax for selecting page-numbers, but it's a nice feature.

The alternative I noted: when doing the mail-merge you pass a screen where you can choose between whole file or record number from/to. If each record becomes a page, this is the obvious place to select page from/to to print. But it is rather clumsy.

Thanks for your comment.

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.