Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Range Expander question

by pappoo / December 1, 2004 10:09 AM PST

I am in need of one. However all I can find for sale are the ones made by Linksys. Is it true that they will only work with Linksys routers? I need one for a Motorola router. I believe Motorola makes one since I'm pretty sure I saw one at CompUSA a few months ago, but now I can't even find it on Moto's website. Can anyone verify that the Linksys one won't work? And anyone know where I can find a Moto exapnder?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Range Expander question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Range Expander question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Range Expander question
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2004 10:12 AM PST

If the motorola router has Wifi that is a standard, then it can work just fine.

Many forget the range extender is placed midway from the client to the Wireless Access Point (WAP).

Bob

Collapse -
by pappoo / December 1, 2004 10:25 AM PST

Well it's either a WR850G or WR850GP router. It's silver in color, so I'm thinking it's the GP. Specs are here: http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/wr850gp/default.asp
I have no clue if it has WiFi. The network is setup at a friend's house.. I'm trying to make it connect to a PC with a Motorola PCI wireless card in it. I'm not sure of that model either. I'm almost positive it's for the 11g technology though.

So based on this information, is it enough to tell if the Linksys repeater will work with it?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2004 10:31 AM PST

I would try it.

You didn't tell any story as to the issue that has you wanting this device.

Remember that your Wifi must work near the base station or an extender doesn't help.

Bob

Collapse -
by pappoo / December 1, 2004 10:54 AM PST

Well actually I did post the story here a while back.. but am just now getting my rear in gear to fix the problem.

There's a computer (the family's main PC) on the first floor towards the front of the house. This is where the cable internet connection (modem and router) is hooked up. They decided to put their previous computer in the basement and put it towards the back of the house. The router and PC in the basement are only about 30-40 feet apart. I thought a wireless setup would work fine since I have no problem connecting wirelessly to computers 2 floors below my router. However their computer located in the basement barely gets a signal and will only connect to the internet once in a blue moon. It appears there's a thick concrete wall that runs almost the entire length of the middle of their basement that I believe may be blocking the signals to the PC in the basement. An associate at CompUSA originally recommended the repeater, and I remember asking here about it and you said in one of your replies that you ran a few in your house and they worked well.

I plan to put the repeater on the first floor directly above where the PC in the basement is located.

Does this make any sense? And does it sound like a good plan?

Collapse -
I get 100 feet at the lower speeds.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2004 11:26 AM PST

And your plan is sound.

Bob

Collapse -
by Dick White / December 1, 2004 11:50 PM PST

Before putting good money down on the range expander, try building a parabolic reflector from http://www.freeantennas.com/products.htm . Some cardboard and foil may be all you need for the extra power to push through that concrete wall. If it doesn't work, then your follow your plan.

dw

Collapse -
wireless extender
by MMH / December 27, 2004 5:12 AM PST

I want a range extender that will 'search' out a network signal from various locations. I tried the LinkSys Range Expander, but their tech help says it work only if I am using it on a known location, and it must be WEP compatabile and I must know the address. I need one that will log in on any open location to increase the sgnal that I am getting to my laptop. Any sugguestions? (I can't use an antenna
extender as WiFi is built in my hp

Collapse -
Don't you love tech support lines?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2004 5:31 AM PST
In reply to: wireless extender

The current linksys range expander is too simple to install. You plug it into the wall socket and ... press a button on it.

No configuration...

Just put it halfway between the WAP and your laptop.

Bob

Collapse -
Wireless Extender
by anjost / January 25, 2005 7:46 AM PST

I tried the Linksys Extender and when I tried to receive signal from my Netgear WGT 624 Router. When it didn't work I called Tech Support and was told it would not work with Netgear products. So far I am still looking for an extender.

Collapse -
Range Expander
by djv / December 22, 2004 5:46 AM PST

I am also looking for one and noticed the Linksys model. I have downloaded the user guide from their site (http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=629&scid=38) and in chapter 1 and 2 they clearly state that it can be used in all 802.11B and 802.11G compatible networks. Unfortunately it is not yet availale in Europe so I cannot buy and try it yet.
Hope this gives you some confidence ; always interested in feed-back.

Deejay

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?