Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Randomly losing gigabytes on my hard drive

by onestepforward / July 9, 2009 2:09 PM PDT

I just bought a Lenovo Y550 with a 400 gb hard drive. It started with around 390 gb which was fine because I know that that missing space is the operating system. But as I was installing programs and downloading stuff I began to randomly lose several gigabytes every now and then on my hard drive. I am down to 330 gb and I can only account for at most 20 gb meaning I'm missing nearly 40 gb. Could someone give me a clue as to what is happening and how to get the space back?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Randomly losing gigabytes on my hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Randomly losing gigabytes on my hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
still having issues
by onestepforward / July 10, 2009 2:59 AM PDT

Thanks Bob,

I've read both those threads and I still do not know what is going on. I used treesize and I'm missing 40gb give or take. I do not have Thinkvantage Rescue and Recovery as far as i know because my lenovo has lenovo onekey recovery. I tried to find Thinkvantage figuring that it was the most likely source of my lost space, but I either don't have it or can't find where it is. Any help is appreciated.

Collapse -
40GB could be easy to mis calculate.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2009 3:03 AM PDT
In reply to: still having issues

Here's why. There is about a 7 percent difference from your drive maker's 100GB (they call that 1 billion bytes) to the binary GB (1.07 billion bytes) that Explorer and other programs show.

I see 640 GB drives so 6.4 x 7 is 44.8 so that's all too close to what you listed.

Yes, it may be confusing but each and every time we find no missing space.
Bob

Collapse -
You have a 400GB drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2009 3:16 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.