Computer Help forum

General discussion

Random Shutdown No error messages

by Prof_Xavier / October 9, 2009 8:31 PM PDT

Hello everyone. I'm having a serious issue with my computer. I recently installed a new PSU, and ever since my computer shuts down without warning after about 10-15 minutes. I don't get an error or anything, just poof and off.

I've checked all the fans, and all are running just fine. I also checked to make sure everything is plugged in snugly. Also I was told to order an adapter to get the PSU to work on my system if that helps. Beyond that I'm clueless as to what to do here. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I really can't afford to take this to a shop anytime soon.

Below are my system specs. (The links take you to the Desktop/PSU/Graphics card/Adapter I own just to give you a better handle)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ 2.00GHz
4.00 GB RAM
32-bit Operating System
Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack 2
NVidia GeForce 9800GT
Corsair 750-Watt PSU

http://www.amazon.com/Pavilion-A1700N-Desktop-Processor-SuperMulti/dp/tech-data/B000MAFNM8/ref=de_a_smtd

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CMPSU-750TX-750-Watt-Certified-compatible/dp/B000X2677A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1255170578&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-01G-P3-N981-TR-GeForce-PCI-Express-Graphics/dp/B001OV7MIC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1255170627&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/CablesToBuy-Power-Supply-Connector-Adapter/dp/B0012SM2SC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1255170532&sr=1-1-fkmr0

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Random Shutdown No error messages
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Random Shutdown No error messages
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds Like You Know The Culprit...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 10, 2009 11:12 AM PDT

1. Get the correct adapter for your power supply. You don't mention whether the appropriate number of pins connected correctly when you plugged in the PSU, but you may need the correct 24 pin PSU adapter.. Or it's possible the power supply isn't the correct one for your machine.

2. Get a different power supply that works as designed.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
maybe a little help
by nerd4real / October 10, 2009 3:52 PM PDT

It could be that the 12V 4/8 pin connector is the problem. Your board only needs half of that connector. Some of the edges are rounded so the correct half should only fit one way. Overheating can also cause shutdowns. You can get HWMonitor, a free program from cpuid.com to check your temps.

Collapse -
thank you
by Prof_Xavier / October 10, 2009 4:07 PM PDT
In reply to: maybe a little help

Thanks guys. I'll give these a shot and let you know. Might take a few days though, busy weekend.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.