Computer Help forum

General discussion

Random restarting?

by Splattered_Whim / July 15, 2005 5:02 PM PDT

What does it mean when a computer starts to restart itself at random times?

My computer has started doing this recently...Sometimes it will do it when I try to open a program, but there are other, less predictable times...like when I'm in the middle of writing an email...or when nobody is touching it at all.

I'm using Windows XP, with a pentium III processor...(I'm not really sure what kind of system info to put...i'd have to look up a bunch of it, cause i'm technologically handicapped...)

What could be causing this? is it software, or hardware? I'm not even sure where to begin for looking for the problem...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Random restarting?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Random restarting?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Could be many things
by Yew / July 15, 2005 10:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Random restarting?

For starters, what do you do about spyware and viruses? Anything, nothing, something, what?

If you rule those out, then heat is often a culprit. Check your computer to make sure the fans aren't clogged with dust and that they're still spinning when the system is on. You can also try running the system with part of the case off to see if that helps things at all.

The final possibility seems unlikely given what you describe, but the power supply could be the problem. USUALLY if it's a power supply thing, it'll only happen when you do something that needs a lot of power, like starting a game. Of course it's possible your power supply is a bit dodgy and so sometimes a slightly bigger than normal dip or surge in the mains power will make it unsettled. If that's the case, it's pretty easy to replace a power supply, since the plugs all really only fit in one place. Either way, investing in a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) with AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulation) can pay off significantly.

Your computer wants a nice steady sine wave of power. That doesn't happen when you're plugging into wall outlets. There are various dips and surges happening all the time. Over time, this takes a toll on a computer's power supply. A UPS with AVR will sit between the mains and your computer and do whatever's necessary to deliver that steady sine wave to your computer, which can significantly increase the lifespan of a computer.

Collapse -
spyware, virus software stuff
by Splattered_Whim / July 16, 2005 10:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Could be many things

I use AVG virus software and Microsoft anti-spyware.

are those bad? should I have something else?

Collapse -
You've told it too -- perhaps.
by Cursorcowboy / July 15, 2005 11:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Random restarting?

If the Automatically restart option is selected under System failure in the Startup and Recovery dialog box in System Properties, then a system performs that action. If you want to know otherwise why a shutdown takes place, first turn off this option and let Windows inform you of what is wrong -- with that information, perhaps someone will know the answer, [Q314466].

Collapse -
k.
by Splattered_Whim / July 17, 2005 3:20 PM PDT

I've taken that setting off, and now i'll wait and see what error message I get...(I'll let you know what it says when i get one...)

I also cleaned the fan, and i'm leaving the side open. and as to one of the other suggestions...It is on a surge protecting power strip thing, so the electricity shouldn't be a problem.

Collapse -
You've cracked it !
by ernstsimp / July 19, 2005 12:36 PM PDT

Many thanks. It was set to restart in the properties folder. I am most grateful to you. I had previously tried everything, but had never thought to look under the system failure folder. Thanks again

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?