Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Random Ping Spikes and Connectivity Issues...

I was having trouble with my connection before, yet way less severe than it is now. I thought it was my wireless adapter's fault, since I would usually fix this random drop of internet by just unplugging and plugging it back into my computer. That's all it was at the beginning, just random internet drops. So me knowing nothing about computers, I bought a new wireless adapter, installed it, and now it's much more than just the random connection issue.

The new adapter I bought is a Belkin N600 DB Dual-Band USB Adapter. It says up to 300Mbps (5.0GHz or 2n4GHz), if it matters at all. My old one is just a default NetGear one.

So after installing the software, my internet connection when web browsing is now very slow, as well as the random ping spikes that occur during gameplay. Some specific pages sometimes don't load, some pages only load halfway, and only when I remove my wireless adapter and plug it back into my computer port several times does it work (or I reset my entire router). Even when I do this, it only lasts 5 minutes or sometimes 3 hours; it's all pretty random. It's all just a bunch of randomness since it basically only works when it wants to. When watching a stream on twitch.tv or something, it always buffers, and it never used to buffer with my old adapter. When trying to log on to a game, it doesn't react at the part where it says "connecting to servers". Sometimes I get past all of that and in the game lobby, after selecting something, it would say "retrieving data from server" and it would just not let me do anything after that and it would be a huge delay usually resulting in an error message box from ingame.

I tried plugging my old adapter in again and it does the same thing now. Ping spikes. Slow web browsing (sort of; it's all random). Connection issues. I even tried plugging them both in at the same time because I'm stupid and out of ideas.

I realize that I might not be showing enough information, or showing useless information, or not the right information, but that's because I don't know much about computers, so whatever info you need, just ask. Any help is greatly appreciated; this problem is really annoying. I'm actually lucky I made it onto the forums without the connection timing out.

TomTheFace has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Random Ping Spikes and Connectivity Issues...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Random Ping Spikes and Connectivity Issues...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by TomTheFace

Collapse -
This discussion has been done many times.

In reply to: Random Ping Spikes and Connectivity Issues...

WiFi is subject to interference so to stop all this you get wired. Why repeat prior discussions?

The randomness is simple. You are in an open connection that any number of interferers can cause this. Your choice to bemoan it all or fix it.

About 300. Forget it. Pull it back to 802.11g (54 megabit) and choose an open channel. I've cured so many with that.
Bob

Collapse -
My apologies.

In reply to: This discussion has been done many times.

I just couldn't sift through all the past discussions to find my exact problem when everything is loading so slowly, and I also didn't know where the problem was to begin with since my knowledge on software and hardware is pretty limited, so I do apologize for repeating, but hopefully you understand...

Again, I really don't know much about these kinds of things, so I would greatly appreciate if you baby-stepped me through a few questions...

I can't use wired since my router/modem is/are in another room, if wired means connect them directly into my computer. So if I'm in an open connection, is there any way to close the connection... That might not make any sense. Is there a way to fix the problems with an open connection? If the solution is choosing an open channel, how and where would I do that?

Thank you for your considerable patience; I realize that these questions are probably ridiculous.

Collapse -
You can use wired.

In reply to: My apologies.

That's why we use powerline adapters when the connection is in the next room.

As to fixing WiFi, folk have learned that if it works, super, but when it's bombing, it's the PITA. I gave you the first thing to try but can't see where you tried it. As to open channel, I use my smart phone to find it. You may have to use something else. For me I like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en

Of course if you get a map like https://lh4.ggpht.com/2yVUnQuDeh5u4yoYEM7UGM_itfO3fUxMGRM7SpqMvx8jkL1mSGVIOZ99C3tHXY1TbkY_=h310 now you know 300MbPS is not going to happen. 300 means a wide open channel from 1 to about 8. Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels to see why there is only one non-overlapping channel in that mode.
Bob

PS. Not ridiculous at all. It's one of those areas that been done for years. No magic bullets but things to try and for gamers, they move the connection to their area or get wired.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you.

In reply to: You can use wired.

I just moved my entire modem to my room and directly plugged it into my computer. Didn't work. My computer's still as slow and buggy with that. I plugged my wireless adapter back in the other room and tried my wireless adapter again and now it's working. Quite well as a matter of fact for some strange, random reason...

Well, I'm not getting anymore ping spikes or lag from web browsing. I didn't exactly do anything else but what I said above. I don't know... As long as it's working, I don't see a difference how or why. Thank you for the answers, it was greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
On some routers.

In reply to: Thank you.

At each boot it sniffs the air for conflicting neighbors and changes channels. This can really get to folk that think the problem is random. You can see why I like my phone and that small app.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Well first of all you need to determin if

In reply to: Random Ping Spikes and Connectivity Issues...

this is the network or your adapter. How does it work with other devices. If those are slow then its not the adapter. Most of the time it won't be if you have the correct drivers. Secondly the adapter you got may be going overboard. You got a dual band adapter and your router may be only single band. 300 MB is 802.11N. An explanation of the different bands 2.4 GHZ is a basic band that your household appliances use like microware ovens. So there is going to be alot more traffic. 5 GHZ is the band with way less traffic but the problem is if your a distance from the router and walls in between the signal strength will be less then 2.4.

Another test is to connect to your modem using a cable and test the internet speed. If it's slow there your problem is with your internet provide may the modem or something. It sounds like you have a desktop since your using a removable adapter. SO I would try to move the PC close to your modem and try a wired connection and that will eliminate the probelm being with your provider.

I have Lightning 150 with 150 MB. I have my own Motorola modem/router with dual band. 802.11ac. I have one laptop with an Intel 802.11 AC and rest are 802.11N. I don't have many problems at all except every once in awhile I have to shut down the router on and off.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.