HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Random messages from???

by odoyle_21 / November 5, 2004 6:23 AM PST

Hello,

This just started with my computer yesterday I believe. It occurs pretty well only when I start up my computer.

I have symantec which scans all outgoing messages auotmatically for me, and when I start my computer up and at other random times this symantec pops up constantly, saying it's sending a message. When it does this I have no idea I'm sending a messgae to anyone, I'm not even logged into outlook or anything. Anyway, obviously somewhere on my computer it's automatically sending out 100s of messages to people I don't know. I'm assuming it's a bug, or spyware of something like that.

Now, I have spybot search and destroy and I run it and nothing comes up. The messages still goes. I scan with Norton antivirus and nothing there either.

It's really weird, because there are no "messages" being sent right now, but five minutes ago it was attempting to send 50 or so.

I'm running XP if that helps at all.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Random messages from???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Random messages from???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Random messages from???
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 5, 2004 9:12 AM PST

If you goto Start > Run and type in msconfig, a window will open for your Sytem Configuration utility.

Click on the "Services" tab, and you will see all of the services that are running in the background.

Many of these services try to send messages back to their programmers. EG Microsoft's Messenger, (not to be confused with MSN Messenger), wants to send messages to Microsoft. On my Dell computer I have a Promise Raid 0 hard disk configuration and it has a messenger service also.

Many of these are not needed for Windows XP to run smoothly and you can disable them. But some "are" needed, and if you disable those you will lose functions on your computer.

Goto http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm

and do a search of the tasks you have running, and see what can be disabled and what are required.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: Random messages from???
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 5, 2004 9:41 AM PST

Odoyle,

In addition to Mark's good advice and because some viruses will disable your current onboard antivirus, please click on either, or both of the links below and run the free online virus scans that they provide.

Housecall Online Scanner

Panda Online Scanner

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Also
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 5, 2004 7:43 PM PST

Also when you check the Services tab in msconfig, check the Startup tab as well.

But I agree with Grif, do those online checks as well.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.