General discussion

Random freeze and Windows reformat

The inevitable happened, it seems, and we added a conundrum to my problem. Using Windows 98SE, and because of the hang and freeze, decided to reformat the drive. I'm later told...not a good idea, because Windows refuses to recognize older hardware, etc. I have a Creative Soundblaster sound card. My problem now is...the format went well. Reinstallation of Windows 98SE went well...several times well. The wireless card installs well and e-mail comes in and sends like it's supposed to. The problem arises when we go to install the sound card. Then, it just quits. Pages won't load, says there's an error, and it's slower than the proverbial molasses drip and never loads. It shows that it's receiving, but does nothing. We can't figure out where the conflict is. When we call our provider, they want to check the router, etc. There's nothing wrong there...evidence the perfect run before the sound card. We've been at this all week and are pulling out hair now. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Random freeze and Windows reformat
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Random freeze and Windows reformat
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clayseed, Have You Tried???

Just some thoughts...Have you tried a different/new sound card? They can be found at reasonable prices...CHEAP. It sounds like a faulty card, or at least one that's not supported on Windows 98. Did the current sound card come with an earlier operating system, like Win 95? Have you tried downloading and installing updated drivers for the card?

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Clayseed, have you tried?

Hi Grif,

That's sort of where were're at now. Everything is fine (or was, anyway), until we go to put the sound card back in, then everything fails. This machine came with Windows 98 installed, with an update to Windows 98SE later. Have had no problems until now, and trying to reformat it (wouldn't boot or shut down properly). The sound card is Creatives Soundblaster Live 1024, and apparently not supported any longer. Was just trying to find a driver if I could, but can't find my password to the driver site. I keep trying. May bite my lip and load up XP, in spite of the horror stories. I NEED this computer and can't afford a new one. I just installed two sticks of memory, for upwards of $200. Ouch.

Will keep on plugging in there. Hopefully something will click. Thanks for your tips, and since that's the point we're stuck on, I may holler for more help.

Clayseed

- Collapse -
tried here?
- Collapse -
Check drivers

You need your sound card drivers in order to load the sound card. Win98SE won't do this fr all devices out there though it does provide some. If you have the orginal CD/floppy for the sound card, use it when you install it or re-install as the case maybe, when prompted. The same for any device that shows a yellow or red flag at the device mgr. window of system icon in control panel. Those have to taken care of before proceeding forward. Then, you got to update any old drivers if required and add new OS updates that have stacked up since the win98se was released, yeah alot of work before you return to normal. A good place for drivers if you can't locate them is http://www.driversguide.com after free regration. Plus, it helps to visit the makers support website for latest drivers of your exact model device/product.

enjoy -----Willy Happy

CNET Forums

Forum Info