Computer Help forum

Alert

Random computer crashes/freezes

by Bewker / April 1, 2015 7:28 PM PDT

Hello everyone,

Lately, my computer started crashing after 5-30 minutes of activity. One day it was working just fine, but the next it started to have problems. It is homemade (put together by a friend of mine) and is about a year old.
What I did notice about the crashes is that it doesn't always crash when I'm only using my SSD. For example, I installed League of Legends on my SSD and my pc doesnt crash when I'm playing it. But I also installed Hearthstone on my SSD and then my pc does crash.
Also, to describe the crashes, sometimes the screen just goes black, and my screen shows it doen't get a signal, and sometimes the screen just freezes.

Specs:
AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor 3.50 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
64-bit, windows 7
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
1000GB HDD

Things I already tried:
- Updating drivers
- Check for malware with AVG and malwarebytes (no problems)
- CHDSK disk check
- Memtest86
- Probably something else but I can't remember anything I did

I hope someone can help me with my problem

-Bewker

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Random computer crashes/freezes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Random computer crashes/freezes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: crash
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 1, 2015 7:46 PM PDT

This looks like a hardware issue, maybe heat, maybe a bad videocard, maybe power, or motherboard. Does Windows' event viewer tell anything useful?

Now ask your hardware expert friend to find the cause.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: crash
by Bewker / April 1, 2015 8:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: crash

There are a lot of errors and warnings in the event viewer, but I have no idea what this all means. Sources are form Service Control Manager, PNRPSvc, EventLog, Wininit, WMI, Kernel-Power

Also, my friend is is out of the country at the moment. I messaged him earlier, and some of the things I tried were suggestions from him.

Collapse -
Re: out of the country
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 1, 2015 8:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: crash

You did the easiest hardware tests: RAM and hard disk. A hard disk is very unlikely given the symptoms, a RAM error isn't very likely either, but it's good to have it excluded.

To check for a heat related cause: take the side cover of, point a fan to the interior and see if it makes a different. If not, the things I would do are:
1. reload Windows (just in case it's a software issue after all)
2. replace the PSU if it's borderline given what the hardware requires
3. replace the videocard

But since I'm not a hardware guy, I would only do #1 myself. For #2 I'd find a repair shop and wihile the are on it they can do #3 also. If the PSU has ample capacity, I might replace the video card myself. But that's me and for you it could be different.

Kees

Collapse -
Re:
by Bewker / April 1, 2015 9:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: out of the country

Thanks for the tips, I'll respond later with the outcome.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.