Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Random BSOD and application crashs

by Mile8 / April 29, 2015 11:38 AM PDT

Hi,

I currently have a lot of stability issues with my computer.
I got a lot of BSOD, game freeze, even my browser has issues and sometimes cannot find websites.
I also get some dialog about corrupted data and memory which cannot be read.

My first guess was a SSD failure, so I performed a chkdsk and a SMART test, both successfully.
I also did :
- A mem check on my RAM
- Check the hardware heat
- Update of all drivers
- Malware scan
- I tried the "sfc /scannow " command but it failed (memory address problem)
- I check the minidump reports and the issue wasn't always the same. Most of the time a dll is failing...

My config :
CPU : i7-3770
GPU : GTX 770

Mile8 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Random BSOD and application crashs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Random BSOD and application crashs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
I find driver updates to be suspect.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 29, 2015 11:47 AM PDT

Drivers do not wear out but a new game could trigger issues. The tell here is the browser and the SFC fail.

That points to hardware or malware (trojan, virus, spy...)

I don't see the PSU or any mention of cleaning, fresh heatsink work or the usual hardware maintenance. Tell more about the PSU and the last time the canned air was used. Try it with the cover off.

I also don't read any mention of the Intel RST. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-7-Discussion/Win-Update-fails-amp-sfc-scannow-errors-on-new-win7-x64-ult/td-p/520753
Bob

Collapse -
PSU details
by Mile8 / April 29, 2015 12:02 PM PDT

My PSU is a cooler master silent pro M2 850W.
I don't know how to check taht but it doesn't seem to overheat.
I opened the case last week end and used an air duster to clean but there weren't much dust since the computer isn't on the ground.
Concerning malwares, I did the most complete scans with avast and malwarebytes.
I don't know what you want me to check about Intel RST...

Thanks

Collapse -
I supplied a link about someone else's BSOD, Intel RST.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 29, 2015 12:08 PM PDT
In reply to: PSU details
Collapse -
Scan done
by Mile8 / April 29, 2015 1:30 PM PDT

Wow, I'm impressed how outdated my security software knowlege is!
I followed the instructions and a lot of stuff was found. I can't tell if this fixes my issue though due to the randomness of its behavior... time will tell, I'll keep you updated.

At least my computer is cleaner now.

I just checked and Intel RST is installed.

Collapse -
Fail
by Mile8 / April 29, 2015 1:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Scan done

Actually I just had another blue screen :

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Invalid system memory was referenced. This cannot be protected by try-except,
it must be protected by a Probe. Typically the address is just plain bad or it
is pointing at freed memory.
Arguments:
Arg1: fffffd6205d8fadb, memory referenced.
Arg2: 0000000000000000, value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation.
Arg3: fffff800030c13e5, If non-zero, the instruction address which referenced the bad memory
address.
Arg4: 0000000000000007, (reserved)

Debugging Details:
------------------

Could not read faulting driver name

READ_ADDRESS: GetPointerFromAddress: unable to read from fffff80003313100
GetUlongFromAddress: unable to read from fffff800033131c0
fffffd6205d8fadb Nonpaged pool

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Mile8

Collapse -
"a lot of stuff was found"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2015 12:56 AM PDT

Since I don't know what was found, I can't check or know if these things damaged the OS.

It still can be hardware. One of the mods here worked with me on a Intel system with SSD, HDD and we had to start at the top with checking the MB BIOS, then the SSD FIRMWARE and then crawl over the OS install with drivers and apps (like Intel RST) before the machine settled down. For a while until they had time they had to run off the HDD.

But you know what you removed so you can research if these damage the OS.
Bob

Collapse -
Scan report
by Mile8 / April 30, 2015 9:28 AM PDT

Malwarebytes found <span id="INSERTION_MARKER">PUP.Optional.Updater.A
<span>SuperAntiSpyware found <span style="font-size: 14.4799995422363px;">Adware tracking cookie, which doens't seem to be harmful for the system.<span style="font-size: 14.4799995422363px;">

Collapse -
A desription to help with your choice...
by Dafydd Forum moderator / April 30, 2015 9:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Scan report
Collapse -
Here's the C to go with that last post.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / April 30, 2015 9:38 AM PDT

C
Dafydd.

Collapse -
Then from the top?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2015 9:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Scan report

I can't guess if the case cover is on and more. If this is a new system, back to the builder to set it right.
Bob

Collapse -
Not a new system
by Mile8 / May 1, 2015 9:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Then from the top?

I built it 2 years ago. It worked very well since 2 weeks ago. I never changed a part.
I'm also regularly having a weird green line on some windows (currently on my steam home page) which makes me think of a graphical issue. Again, maybe it comes from some SSD corrupted data...

So what is the best way to try to fix it ? I spend roughly 2 weeks trying to fix it using every tips I found and honestlly I'm not sure I wan't to spend another week end on this.

I was thinking of creating an backup image of my ssd, then perform a system restore and check if this works.
If it doesn't, it means it's a hardware problem (I guess) and I can use my image on another disk.

What do you think of that ?

Collapse -
To troubleshoot this
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 1, 2015 9:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Not a new system

You would have to swap parts. Another display to see if it's that display or the card. Failing vid cards can cause odd BSODs. But the thing is, to sniff it out you have to swap parts unless there are great clues.
Bob

Collapse -
Solved ?
by Mile8 / May 4, 2015 3:42 AM PDT
In reply to: To troubleshoot this

I found out that one of my RAM stick was failing. Note to myself : Windows memtest is far from enough, use memtest86+ instead.
I haven't experienced any issue since I removed it so I'm guessing it was the only problem (It would be really bad luck otherwise).
Big thanks for your help!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!