General discussion

Random black screen reboot problem

Here are my specs

AMD athlon xp 3000
AK79D 400-Max motherboard
512 MB ddr400 ram
2 HD
DVD burner

So this just started randomly, I can't think of anything to cause it to happen. At random times my computer will just go to a black screen and not respond, at which point I must push restart button and reboot computer. It can happen within 3 minutes or 3 hours. I have tried virus scans, chekced ram connection. All is fine. I ran the windows memory test and everything passed. Anyone know what can cause this? It is very annoying as I can basically not use my computer. Oh yea one more thing, I tried reformatting and installed windows on the other hard drive. It worked fine for a few weeks but then started again. Also could a corrupt windows installation cause this? I mean could a few system files that are corrupt cause a complete crash like this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Random black screen reboot problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Random black screen reboot problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
random crashes

In reply to: Random black screen reboot problem

Hi - since you tried the obvious things, have you also checked the temperature? It could be overheating. One way to find out is to run the comp without it casing. If it runs fine, then it takes dusting and cleaning out the vents. - Amos

Collapse -
Overheating not problem

In reply to: random crashes

The temp of my cpu has been low in the upper 40's celcius.

Collapse -
any ideas

In reply to: Overheating not problem

any other suggestions, Im dieing here.

Collapse -
Inspect it for ..

In reply to: any ideas

BAD CAPS (google.com that), a too small power supply (they age and do that), bad ram (try just one stick), a failed fan.

The list can go on for much more. Let's check some common items.

Bob

Collapse -
Same problem

In reply to: Inspect it for ..

I've been having the same problem with my computer randomly going to a black screen and requiring a manual restart.

Would love to know what you discover. I'm in the process of updating all my drivers. . . a shot in the dark perhaps.

Collapse -
Just checking.

In reply to: Same problem

Did you complete what was discussed so far?

Collapse -
I have tried the above. . .

In reply to: Just checking.

I've been monitoring how hot my CPU gets using the ASUS probe software and it usually stays somewhere around 30 degrees celsius. And besides that, I just put installed a new hard drive and a new dvd drive and cleaned it out then.

Collapse -
What you didn't say.

In reply to: I have tried the above. . .

If you inspected the motherboard and power supply capacitors and did the cover off test. The CPU monitor is a good idea but since other chips could be getting warm it can have the owner not try the cover off test and miss out on the real cause.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.