Computer Help forum

General discussion

Random Audio Ads

I am working on cleaning out a friend's laptop of malicious content. I have been able to track down almost everything except for this one thing that keeps running, which is an Audio Ad. It runs at random times and for random amounts of times, without being able to be detected. The content of the Ad also appears to be inconsistent varying from ads about PodCasts and other TV shows it would seem. I am unable to located it in the Task Manager; in either Applications or Processes. I have used SpyBot and Ad-Aware to try and locate it, and nothing is turning up. I've ran two different anti-virus scans as well; those being Avast! and AVG. And even having cleared out any viruses with those I still can not get rid of the Audio Ads.

Any ideas?

System Specs:

HP Pavilion dv5222nr
Windows XP Home Edition SP3
AMD Turion 1.79GHz
896MB RAM.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Random Audio Ads
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Random Audio Ads
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try These Tools

In reply to: Random Audio Ads

First, ,,,,

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from the link below:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

* Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
* The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.
* The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediately.

After doing that, then download the free tool from the link below, install it, update it, then run a full system scan:

SUPERAntispyware Removal Tool

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Random ads playing on my PC

In reply to: Try These Tools

I have the same problem. I'm on a 64 bit Windows 7 PC.
You don't have to have any browser tool running. You'll get these random ads that come on periodically. There are a lot of postings about this behavior. Most people just thrown Malware programs out there so I've tried them ... all.

I have tried the major Antivirus programs: AVG, Norton, Webroot
I have also tried other "Malware" remedies:
PCcleaner
Malwarebytes
Combofix
Microsoft security essentials
Spybot Search and Destroy
Hijackthis

I tried Sopzilla and it caused the Blue Screen of Death shortly after my pc booted so I had to restore from a previous point.

I read about a cleaver PC cleaner routine called Reimagepcrepair that states it can clean my problem but it won't let me trial it.

Somebody is very clever because it's stumping a lot of experts, and Malware companies out there

Collapse -
unwanted audio ads solved

In reply to: Random Audio Ads

I tried many products but when I download Ad-Aware from Lavasoft, the problem stopped.

I hope this helps you.

Collapse -
unwanted audio ads solved

In reply to: unwanted audio ads solved

as it turns out the real savior of the problem was a product called ReimagePCcleaner.
I didn't even have to buy the software. I just installed it and performed a free scan.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.