Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Ran Very Slow; Now Worse Issues

by tamburlaine63 / December 13, 2008 12:32 AM PST

Hello - My wife's Graphite Clamshell G3, 466mhz, 512mb ram, 10 gig hd [7.1 free], Panther 10.3.9, started running very slowly a week ago. She's using the Firefox browser, we're on WIFI at home, and accustomed to great performance from this wonderful old computer.
I had thought to do a clean install of the Panther OS thinking that might help, but disk #1 would not 'initiate' in the computer and now is 'stuck' in the computer, recycling constantly through its attempts while 'quit installer', 'restart' have no effect. And, during this process, somehow, upon startup, the computer shows a small picture of the world, changing to a blinking folder showing a question mark on it. I don't have the original install disks that came with it, having bought it used some years ago. I did find an Apple download for the AHT one could make by burning a cd of it through Disk Utility and using Firewire through my PowerBook G4 to 'boot' into AHT. But I'm unable to complete this process. I can see the HD of the G3, and the AHT disk on the G4 Finder, but I'm unable to do anything with it.
Thanks much for your help; hoping this little computer can be saved.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ran Very Slow; Now Worse Issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ran Very Slow; Now Worse Issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
As machines age
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2008 2:02 AM PST

I find I had to replace CD/DVD drives, get new media and more. While the machine may be saved some don't want to replace a few parts.
Bob

Collapse -
Removing that CD
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 13, 2008 5:12 AM PST

Press, and hold down, the power button until the computer shuts off.

Once it's off, press the power button again and hold down the mouse button. Keep it held down until the disk pops out.

The "world" icon indicates that the iBook is trying to find a startup volume on the network.
If it continues, and you are unable to complete the boot process, shut down the computer again and when you restart, hold down the option key. Keep it down until you see a choice of startup volumes. Choose the internal HD and continue the boot.
Once booted, go to the "Startup Disk" control panel and set the startup to the internal HD.

You could then try repairing the permissions, not always a cure all but worth doing.

As Bob mentioned, things wear out over time. Do you have an external firewire HD you could use?

P

Collapse -
Thanks for the Good Stuff
by tamburlaine63 / December 13, 2008 11:07 AM PST
In reply to: Removing that CD

Panther disk released from captivity. Holding down the 'Option' key brings up a blue screen with the choices of a reversed arrow, and a 'continue' straight arrow button. Neither would 'fire' a response. In the meantime I found a G3 'boot from 'c' install disk', may not have been the correct one, but it started and Disk Utility gave the HD a clean bill of health. I also found the manner to do the AHT from the burned disk I'd made from an Apple download. It ran three times, clearing all, mass storage, ram, and logic board. Either of these tests could be wrong of course. I also tried zapping the 'pram'. But I'm determined, is there a next step? Thanks much for your help.

Collapse -
Option key,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 13, 2008 9:30 PM PST

the blue screen is normal but you should have had an icon or two on the screen. The icons represent the choices of boot disk that are available to the computer.
Selecting one of the icons and then pressing the "straight" arrow should start the boot sequence from the selected source.

I don't know what you mean by "boot from "c" install disk". Is this a OS X installation disk?

If the machine boots correctly from its hard drive, and you have not said if it does or not, is it still slow?
If the answer is yes, then it may be time to do an "Archive and Install" of the OS.
This is quite easy but does require that you have a working installation disk for OS X (10.3.x)

When you find one, let us know

P

Collapse -
No Choices...
by tamburlaine63 / December 13, 2008 11:59 PM PST
In reply to: Option key,

Well, I don't know why this simple operation won't work for me, but holding down the 'option' key reveals only the 'post-selection' arrows, not the choices of boot disks which would get me to where progress is possible. I have it at that state now, and perhaps will just leave it for awhile to see if anything better developes. I'm doubting that without these choices being available a solution here is coming? Thanks again.

Collapse -
A Solution
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 14, 2008 5:25 AM PST
In reply to: No Choices...

will not be forthcoming unless you have the working OS X installation disks or the computer boots correctly from the hard drive

P

Collapse -
Bingo!
by tamburlaine63 / December 14, 2008 9:13 AM PST
In reply to: A Solution

I may not have had the original Install OSX disks, but those I had worked! All's fine on it now, except it's running 10.2.8, Housecat?, instead of Panther 10.3.9. Eventually I'll buy the Panther disks again, but for now it's fine. I can now see that the ram is 320mb; what would be the max ram, and would there be any real benefit to going there? Thanks again very much for your help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.