PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Rampage 2 Extreme RAM question

by ebotos / November 8, 2009 8:09 AM PST

I'm planning on purchasing an Asus Rampage 2 Extreme and an I7 975. The problem I have is regarding which RAM to go for. Although I will be overclocking eventually, this will be way off in the future and for now I just want to be able to plug in and get it running asap after purchase. I'm going for 6GB Corsair DDR3 Triple Channel Dominator RAM 1600.

The problem is that the board specs say that it can run 1600+ RAM but has (OC) next to these figures. I presume this means overclocked. I don't want to have to mess around with any BIOS settings if possible and am hoping to just install the RAM with minimal work (lazy, I know!)
Can I run 1600 MhZ on the Rampage 2 Extreme without having to change BIOS settings, or would it be easier to go for 8 GB Dual Channel Corsair 1333 MhZ?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Rampage 2 Extreme RAM question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Rampage 2 Extreme RAM question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Download the manual first, if you've not done so already
by Steven Haninger / November 9, 2009 12:29 AM PST

These tend to have a considerable listing of already qualified RAM. This doesn't mean that other memory won't work. The OC does mean for overclocking so, if you plan to do that in the future, you'll want that specification. Your BIOS should look for an "spd" chip on the RAM modules and automatically configure the memory for optimum performance. You do want to make sure that, if you plan to install more than 4 gigs of RAM, you'll need a 64 bit OS before it will all be used.

Collapse -
Thanks! :)
by ebotos / November 9, 2009 7:26 AM PST

Outstanding. Thanks a lot! I'm already running Win 7 64 bit. I'm just fairly new to the whole overclocking field and don't want to throw myself in at the deepend without meaning to by buying something which requires lots of BIOS changes until I've taught myself with my old setup.

Collapse -
Looked at any other MBs ? Having trouble seeing the
by VAPCMD / November 9, 2009 11:07 AM PST

need to spend $350 on that MB.

By the way...what's the intended use ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Money
by ebotos / November 9, 2009 6:26 PM PST

isn't such an issue with this set up so I figured I'd go all out. Main uses are very heavy gaming and some video/picture editing.

Collapse -
Personally I'd look further. I'm willing to pay more for
by VAPCMD / November 10, 2009 10:19 AM PST
In reply to: Money

something materially better but that MB doesn't achieve that status based on buyer reviews at Newegg.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
ok,
by ebotos / November 10, 2009 6:25 PM PST

Sure thing. Thanks for ths input! I'll have another look around and see what else will run well. Most importantly, I need something that can run an i7, can handle 2 gtx 925's in sli and will be a good starting place for overclocking in the future. I was mostly drawn to the R2E because I heard it made OCing far easier than most mobos.

Collapse -
Actually,
by ebotos / November 10, 2009 7:38 PM PST

I would be most interested in hearing what you recommend to handle an i7 975, nothing extreme on the OC front, 6 GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 2 GTX 295's SLI and will fit in an Antec 902? Money isn't an issue, but obviously I don't want to blow money on a board that is just as good as a cheaper one but has features I probably won't need (3rd sli slot etc).

Collapse -
I'd look at the typical review sites...
by VAPCMD / November 11, 2009 2:00 AM PST
In reply to: Actually,

Tomshardware.com, Anandtech.com, Xbitlabs.com, etc. and also here for actual buyer/user reviews.

Here's a pretty complete list of the 1366 socket MB that Newegg offers

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010200280%201070545356&name=LGA%201366

There's lots to choose from and here's one I put in the 'possible' pile.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128362

My biggest concern with the socket 1366 platform is that there are few boards on at places like Newegg that get consistent high marks ....I mean 75-80% 5's, some 4 and very few 3's, 2's and 1's. Instead most are rated 50-60% 5's, 5-20%...4's, a few 3's 2's and too many 1's.

Make sure you pick a good PSU to go with that rig... the EVGA GTX295 says...'Minimum of a 680 power supply (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 46 Amps.).

Let us know what you decide.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Thanks
by ebotos / November 11, 2009 4:43 AM PST

I've got a 750W Corsair PSU in the case at the mo, which I'm sure will handle everything fine with the one 295 I have atm. I'm thinking I may hold off on the SLI until the 300 cards are out and I can rock something special with two of those. I've just found that my current mobo and chip are holding me back and I can't be bothered to OC them when I'm going to be buying new parts soon anyway.

Thanks for the motherboard tips. I'll def get back when I decide what to go for. I've heard good things about the Gigabyte choices. Much research to be done Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.