Desktops forum

General discussion

RAM vs. Sleep mode

by halo.light / January 29, 2009 12:20 PM PST

I have an issue with my motherboard. If I install any new RAM other than what I used when I built my computer I can't use sleep mode. The reason why, is that when I try waking my computer up, my processor idles at 50% and windows becomes EXTREMELY unstable and I have to shut down. I have none of these issues when I boot up and my computer passes all stability tests. So there is something wrong with the motherboard somewhere. So my question is, should I install the new RAM and never use sleep mode, or keep my current RAM and be able to use sleep mode? And I don't want to rma the motherboard because if I am going to go through that hassle I will just buy a new, better motherboard.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: RAM vs. Sleep mode
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: RAM vs. Sleep mode
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2009 1:55 PM PST
In reply to: RAM vs. Sleep mode

It's just one of many bugs with lots of ram and various versions of Windows. You didn't supply any detail so here's just one of the dozen or so articles about this -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929734

Remember I have no details to work with. But it is a known problem with many versions of Windows.
Bob

Collapse -
specs
by halo.light / January 29, 2009 9:38 PM PST
In reply to: Yup.

I have an Asus M3A motherboard, the memory that works is G.Skill DDR2 800 mhz 2x1GB and I am trying to install Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800mhz 2x2GB. And I have Vista Home Premium 64bit.

Collapse -
"it is a known problem with many versions of Windows."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2009 10:04 PM PST
In reply to: specs

Microsoft seems to leave us with such bugs. They tend to fix them when a computer maker like Dell wants to sell a box with Windows and the engineers get to work to find and patch the bug.

Sorry but did you go looking in the KB (knowledge base) for your issue? I did it once just as an example and now it's your turn.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!