HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Ram using Xp

by Scrubber / March 31, 2004 10:16 PM PST

I want to add 512 mb of ddr Ram, My question is, I have 128 mb ddr in there now. Can I leave that or do I have to remove it and just put the 512 in? Thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ram using Xp
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ram using Xp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Ram using Xp
by auggief / March 31, 2004 10:23 PM PST
In reply to: Ram using Xp

I had 256 and had the guy at the computer store put in an additional 512 for a total of 768 so I would guess the answer is yes.

Collapse -
Re:Ram using Xp
by ronclon / March 31, 2004 10:34 PM PST

yes you can just add it to the existing ram. But make sure to get the correct ram for your pc.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Ram using Xp
by Scrubber / March 31, 2004 10:38 PM PST
In reply to: Re:Ram using Xp

Isn't all DDR RAM the same?

Collapse -
Re:Re:Ram using Xp
by Scrubber / March 31, 2004 10:44 PM PST
In reply to: Re:Ram using Xp

I have installed the RAM, and as long as I leave my PC running, it's fine. But when I shut it down and then restart it, I continue getting an error. Something about Win Memory error. I have also installed a new virus protection. Is there some way I can tell if the 512 is the wrong kind of DDR?

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Ram using Xp
by ronclon / March 31, 2004 11:14 PM PST
In reply to: Re:Re:Ram using Xp

you should go to the manufacturers website dell-gateway whatever ,and look up your model of pc and check to see what kind of memory it has. there are differant types pc2100, 2700 etc.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Ram using Xp
by ronclon / March 31, 2004 11:18 PM PST
In reply to: Re:Re:Ram using Xp

also you need to post exactly what the error message says. You can right click my computer , then click manage then clcik the +next to event wiewer then clcik system and check for the error messages.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Ram using Xp
by Scrubber / April 1, 2004 3:52 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Re:Re:Ram using Xp

Thanks, My error code is this!

Error code 10000050, parameter1 ff76ffff, parameter2 00000000, parameter3 ef97de7b, parameter4 00000000.

If that makes any sense to someone, lol.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Ram using Xp
by ronclon / April 1, 2004 8:17 AM PST

this shouldnt be too hard to figure out. first take out the new memory and see if the error persists. If not then that was your problem. I'm betting this is the problem.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Ram using Xp
by Cursorcowboy / April 1, 2004 10:42 PM PST
Are you sure about that error? Please read through this forum link concerning "Stop errors."
Collapse -
Ahem. . .
by Coryphaeus / April 1, 2004 8:46 AM PST

Most system boards want the largest RAM module in the first slot.

And check again if the module is compatible with your system. Since you didn't tell us anything about your specific system, system board, OS, RAM, you'll have to research this yourself.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.