Computer Help forum

General discussion

RAM, ROM, Removable Storage "drives" me to Rum...

by jco / February 26, 2006 11:08 PM PST

Hello to all.

I have a Dell Dimension 8200, 80 Gig physical memory, 512 Mb RAM, Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2000 Mhz, 1702 Flat Panel, Brother MFC-420cn. I'm running Windows XP SP2, AVG Pro, Spybot, MS Antispyware, and everything is patched and updated.

I'm in the dark, re: removable storage, so I'm copying the following from an AIDA report:
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive MAXTOR 6L080J4 (80 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
Optical Drive _NEC NR - 7900A (24x/0x/40x CD-RW)
Optical Drive SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616T (16x/48x DVD-ROM)

Please note: altho four drives are noted on the AIDA report, I have
only three. All three work wonderfully well, but, to me, they're simply
A, D and E. (Hard drive is C, of course)

I'm hoping someone can direct me to a site where I can learn how RAM and ROM work (dah -- I know what the acronyms mean, but their workings are a mystery to me.)

This need to know has come up due to the possibility that I might want to load a program that takes 600 - 700 Mb of "memory." (that's all I know so far).

My system has 512 Mb RAM, the 80 Gig total, and my computer info says I have 56 Gig free space. Seems like plenty of memory left -- but I don't understand how the 512 Mb RAM is affected.

Let's face it: My understanding, in total, is severely limited. In particular, I'm wondering if I have enough "memory" to load a 600 - 700 Mb program, but I also need to learn more about this for future reference.

Thank-you megaloads. I think 90% of what I've learned has come to me via forums, and I do love this forum in particular.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: RAM, ROM, Removable Storage "drives" me to Rum...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: RAM, ROM, Removable Storage "drives" me to Rum...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
One answer
by Ray Harinec / February 26, 2006 11:46 PM PST

Your "This need to know has come up due to the possibility that I might want to load a program that takes 600 - 700 Mb of "memory." (that's all I know so far)." Simply means that the program requires that amount of space on your hard drive.

Also to me drives A, C, D, and E add up to four. Please explain your comment re three.

Collapse -
I pulled up Calc in windows.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2006 11:49 PM PST
In reply to: One answer

Clicked View Scientific, then Hex and ...

A + C + D + E = 31

I bet the number 3 was about hard disks only but I could be wrong.

Bob

Collapse -
Ooops, continued, aka RAM, ROM, rum anyone?
by jco / February 27, 2006 12:56 AM PST

Cool! And 3+1=4. And A=1, C=3, D=4, and E=5, so that adds up to 13, and 1+3=4.

No doubt about it, all drives are counted four and accounted for. (Good thing I'm not really hitting the rum, or I'd have to capitalize the "dah" in my middle name.)

Thanks much for helping me again!

Collapse -
Ooops
by jco / February 27, 2006 12:40 AM PST
In reply to: One answer

Somehow, I thought the four drives listed on the AIDA report were all removable storage, but that's not the case. I see now that "Disk Drive" refers to "C." Thanks so much for your response.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!