General discussion

RAM question...

hey im not exactly a noob but im not an expert either so anyway i got 2 sticks of 512 ram pc3200 and just before i asked some really smart people and they told me although my comp could only run pc2100, that pc3200 would still work. They told me that it would just run it as if it were pc2100. So I got it and all seemed well until my comp froze and glitched out, etc. At first I just thought it was the RAM and that it was defective or something but then i began to think about what they had told me. Does anyone here know anything RAM compatibility and all that stuff? All the help i could get would be great.

ps: if u need any more info on my comp or wat RAM i bought then just ask for it.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: RAM question...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: RAM question...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Troubleshooting RAM

Since you have two modules, this tends to be easy as long as one stick can carry the OS. If the problem is a recurring one, try running with one stick giving ample time for the glitch to occur. Then, do the same with the other. If a problem happens with one and not the other, you may have a bad module. If not, put them both in together and see what happens. The next step might be to reverse their slots. It's time consuming but might help. Basically, if the RAM is compatible with the MB, a higher speed product should not cause problems. Two sticks of the same value from different manufacturers might not work well together. RAM manufacturers such as Crucial have information on their web sites that show which of their products work or is best with specific motherboards. Hope that helps.

- Collapse -
will it harm comp

so is there any way by leaving them in it could harm my computer or can i test them as long as i want with no worries??

- Collapse -
Did you answer whether it was

Win 98 that you were using????

If it is you can go RUN, type msconfig, hit OK and then on the first page click advanced and put an X in the box that says to limit it to 512 MB. I ran with 1 GB and Win 98 that way for a year, awaitung XP.

It doesn't seem to work for everyone.

- Collapse -
Harm caused by RAM

I'd say unlikely. If it properly fits in the slot and is inserted correctly and is, itself, not defective you should have no problems. This does not guarantee it will work well but should not cause damage.

- Collapse -
Just a thought. . .

What's your OS? 98 won't like 1 Gig of RAM, it can't support it.

- Collapse -
windows xp

and its professional too if that helps ???

CNET Forums

Forum Info