PC Hardware forum

General discussion

RAM question

by ubrikkean / January 17, 2006 8:33 AM PST

hey, i installed a new gb of memory today, so now i have 1536 mb total, with this configuration: 1024, 256, 256, empty. i ran an online check that saw the memory config correctly, but in system info and dxdiag it says i only have 1 gb total... is my system using the old 2x256 mb modules?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: RAM question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: RAM question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Dosen't sound like it
by crazeebob2000 / January 17, 2006 8:34 AM PST
In reply to: RAM question
Collapse -
Maybe
by ASBaltazar / January 17, 2006 9:14 AM PST

You should put in 2 512's instead of 1 1024.

You may need matching pairs to run properly.

If you put a 1024 and a 256 in one pair and the 256 in the second, that may be the problem too.

If you don't need matched pairs try putting the 1024 by itself. The 256's in the second pair.

In my computer, I need matched pairs so the sockets are different colors. A blue set and a black set.

Collapse -
Yes, as ASB suggests, if the computer supports
by Ray Harinec / January 17, 2006 9:22 AM PST
In reply to: Maybe

dual channel, the two 256's must be in specific slots. Read the manual to see what pairs of slots go together for Dual Channel operation..

Collapse -
tried that
by ubrikkean / January 18, 2006 7:23 AM PST

tried doing 256, 256, 1024, empty so they were paired, but it made no difference... what i think now is that my motherboard is incompatible with the memory, i've heard of ram only showing up as half of its amount if you have the wrong motherboard... dunno why some tests showed the full 1536 mb though.

Collapse -
The "pairing" varies
by Ray Harinec / January 18, 2006 7:44 AM PST
In reply to: tried that

with various mobos. In some the pair is one from column A and one from Column B, while others the pairs are the adjacent slots. Thus your reply may not be meaningful.

Collapse -
tried both
by ubrikkean / January 18, 2006 8:47 AM PST
In reply to: The "pairing" varies

when i bought the computer, the 2x256 worked with one in each column. When i first installed the new memory, i just put it in an empty slot; i also tried it with the 2x256 in the same column, and neither worked; no, as i said in my previous reply that apparently wasnt "meaningful", im pretty sure the computer is only detecting half of the 1024. it especially makes sense considering the computer maximum of 2048 total and 4 slots total that it would only support up to 512 in a single stick. now i just wish i hadnt spent my $52 on double what i could have used...

Collapse -
Maybe this would be a good time to ...
by VAPCMD / January 18, 2006 10:30 AM PST

tell us what MB you have . . . mfg and model #

If necessary . . . download, install and run CPUZ

Collapse -
ok, info then
by ubrikkean / January 19, 2006 7:44 AM PST

heres all the info that seems like it might be relevant:

processor: p4 3.0 ghz

memory: ddr-sdram 1024 mb
specifically, 2x256mb samsung M3 68L3223ETN-CB3 PC2700, 1x512(should be 1gb) dialog TGT... oddly there is no serial number or manufacturing date listed in cpu-z. theyre all unregistered, unbuffered, and no correction.

motherboard: ASUS P4SD-VL
BIOS: American Megatrends v1005

please tell me if theres anything else that might be useful for this

Collapse -
This is an ASUS motherboard but..
by VAPCMD / January 19, 2006 12:00 PM PST
In reply to: ok, info then

it'a a motherboard made by ASUS for another mfg...perhaps SONY. Right ? You need to get your info from that mfg ...SONY I believe.

So check your system DOCs...it should tell you exactly what you need to know. My guess is you should have bought two DIMMs at 512MBs ea....but now that you have one 1GB DIMM...you should probably just get another obe just like it. That would give you 2GB.

Looks like your system has an Intel 865PE chipset and if you have problems ...you can probably go to any mb mfg that makes a MB with the Intel i865PE and see what RAM combinations are possible.

Collapse -
re: asus
by ubrikkean / January 20, 2006 1:34 AM PST

yea, its a sony vaio pcv-rs520... but unfortunately, if you look at the documentation, it just says that it has a 2gb max, nothing about a lack of support for a 1gb dimm... but why would an extra 1gb stick help, wouldnt it just show up as 512 like my current one? what it seems i should do if i want 1.5gb is just get 2x512 to add to my 2x256... but since i already bought the 1gb, dunno what i should do..

Collapse -
Rock and a hard place
by ASBaltazar / January 20, 2006 2:42 AM PST
In reply to: re: asus

I think you could get a matching 1 gig memory card and just run the 2 1 GB cards (not use the original mem cards) or buy 2 512 MB cards and put them in with the original memory.

You should call or e-mail Sony.

Collapse -
sony vaio pcv-rs520
by VAPCMD / January 20, 2006 12:41 PM PST

Sony VAIO PCV-RS520....

There's a link on the online manual that may help...
perhaps it will give you additional info not provided in the manual.

If this is truly an ASUS MB based on the Intel 865PE chipset....you should be able to use the guidance for the memory combinations stipulated for any similar ASUS MB based on that chipset. Look for P4P800 Deluxe.

Again my advice remains ... get another 1GB DIMM ...just like the other one you bought and ditch the 2 x 256MB DIMMs. Though designed for 4 DIMMs many systems do not work at max speed with all RAM in all four DIMM slots.

Collapse -
Interesting
by ASBaltazar / January 21, 2006 1:36 AM PST
In reply to: sony vaio pcv-rs520

So you are saying sometimes it's better to have a pair of 512's, as aposed to two pairs (4 total) of 256's.

I'm curious because I now have a pair of 256's and to get to 1 gig, I'm not sure if I should buy a pair of 256's and add it (I'm not sure how close I can match the original 2) or go with a pair of 512's.

I was even looking at buying two pairs of 256's.

Collapse -
spoke to sony support
by ubrikkean / January 21, 2006 2:04 AM PST
In reply to: sony vaio pcv-rs520

found out some more info yesterday, it seems that the ram is high density, which might explain it, and unfortunately the sony rep i managed to contact had never heard of it... and in all the online support stuff, including manuals and such, there isnt any specification about high density ram. is there anyone here that can help with that?
oh, and i would sooner return my 1gb dimm and get a 512mb, or just keep using what im using, than get a second 1gb dimm, just because of the cost.

Collapse -
Back to my problem
by Testy / January 21, 2006 3:13 AM PST
In reply to: spoke to sony support

Since this thread was highjacked to someones elses problem I will tell you that when you visit websites that sell RAM and they run a scan to see what RAM is compatible with my computer, it only show 256 as the highest number that will go to my computer. They also state that my computer will hold three sticks of 256. 768 is the total RAM my computer will hold.

Collapse -
???
by ubrikkean / January 21, 2006 6:17 AM PST
In reply to: Back to my problem

er, is this post in the wrong thread? cause i was the one that started it, and it definately hasnt been ''highjacked'', and your response is unrelated...

Collapse -
Yup...looks to me like he's in the wrong church and..
by VAPCMD / January 21, 2006 10:08 AM PST
In reply to: ???

the answer is only correct if the shopper elects to have the mfgs program scan your system ... and I never, ever do that as I've always got the make/mfg, series and model number.

Collapse -
the problem is...
by ubrikkean / January 21, 2006 11:29 AM PST

i bought the ram on ebay... yea, not a good decision... still, $51.95 is a good price for 1gb memory... not for 512mb though.

Collapse -
See the ASUS MB Manual on the P4P800 Deluxe
by VAPCMD / January 21, 2006 10:45 AM PST
In reply to: spoke to sony support

It has some relevant info re the way memory works in what combinations in MBs with the Intel i865PE chipset motherboards. Pages 2-11 and 2-12. Best option is 2-1GB DIMMs in banks A1 and B1. Second best would be 512MBs in DIMMs A1 and B1 and the original 256MBs DIMMs in A2 and B2. Then you have 1536MBs RAM and they'be operating n the DUAL CHANNEL mode.

Next time ... ask before buying and be careful who you take advice from. Some folks who provide response may be giving you bad advice and you'll never know until you act on it.

Collapse -
still would like to know about high density
by ubrikkean / January 21, 2006 11:32 AM PST

^subject title^ cause at this point, all i really want to know is if i can use the 1gb high density ram stick i bought is useful for anything... so any info specific to high density ram would be really appreciated

and by the way, thanks to everyone who has supplied information in this thread, it's helped a lot, even if i haven't solved the problem yet

Collapse -
high density ram
by ASBaltazar / January 21, 2006 11:51 PM PST

I searched on the web and mostly got forums where people were asking the same thing and not getting a responce.

It has to do with how dense the bits of data are on the chip.

One guy said if your mother board doesn't support High Density Ram, it will only see half.

They were getting responces saying "Return it" and "Resell it on eBay".

Collapse -
well... i suppose ill return...
by ubrikkean / January 22, 2006 3:29 AM PST
In reply to: high density ram

thanks for the help... i got the same sort of things when is searched... i suppose ill return it (unfortunately my seller makes me pay the shipping charge) and then get a 512mb or maybe 2 of them...

Collapse -
Read the MB Manual I suggested
by VAPCMD / January 22, 2006 4:38 AM PST

There are several lessons here ...

1. Read the suggested manual at least the part suggested so you don't make the same mistake again like getting 1 DIMM @ 1GB instead of 2 @ 512MBs for a total of 1GB or getting 1 @ 512MBs when you should get 2 @ 512MBs ea. It will give you the info you should have gotten from SONY.

2. Ask your BEFORE you BUY

3. While the system CAN run without DIMMs in PAIRS ... it is designed to run at FULL SPEED or MAX PERFORMANCE when the DIMM slots are populated in PAIRS.

Re density ... unfortunately that's a relative term. When a MB is designed it is designed to one spec. But as time goes on, technology changes and as it pertains to RAM ...they make chips with higher densities. Sometimes they work with the older systems but others they don't. I'm not 100% sure whether your issue is because you didn't populate the DIMM slots they way you were suppposed to or it was a density issue. Too bad you couldn't try a pair of 1GBs DIMMs as indicated in a previous message to operate in the DUAL channel mode...like the 2 DIMMs @ 256MBs each should be running presently assuming you've got them in the right slots. If you do add 2 - 512MBs ... I'd suggest placing them in DIMM slots A1 and B1 vice A2 and B2.

Collapse -
re
by ubrikkean / January 22, 2006 6:21 AM PST

i took a look at it... and in fact, i think that a 1gb dimm would work, just not with high density.. but i found a better deal (finally) on 2x512, usually it costs more. i think the standard for high density is 128x4 instead of 68x8 which is the normal i think. as for the configuration, i tried a bunch of different ways; in any case sony at least gives a recommendation for that, 512, 256, 512, 256, once i get my new set.

Collapse -
Return It!
by CG-TG / January 24, 2006 10:57 AM PST

EBay for RAM? Like they said - you get what you paid for. You don't know where that RAM has been. Return it and use my Crucial link with your new system info. Consider it a lesson learned.

Collapse -
hey hey
by ubrikkean / January 25, 2006 7:20 AM PST
In reply to: Return It!

dont be so harsh on me :P... the ram was new and sealed, the company had good feedback (yes, company, not seller), and the specs were fine, i just didn't know about "high density" and stuff. grr. and ive used the crucial link... i in fact bought some new ram, i gotta return the old stuff now.

Collapse -
Info About Your System
by CG-TG / January 24, 2006 10:49 AM PST
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=Sony%2BVAIO+PCV-R%2FRS%2FRX%2FRXA%2FRXG%2FRXM+Models&mfr=Sony&tabid=AM&model=VAIO+PCV-RS500+Series+%284+DIMM+sockets%29&submit=Go

System Type
Desktop Computer
Maximum Memory
2048MB
Standard Memory
256 or 512MB removable
Slots/Banks
4 (4 banks of 1)
The information provided above is a standard setup as shipped from the manufacturer. You can see your current configuration with The Crucial System Scanner

It appears your system does not require matched sets since it says 4 banks of 1. You might want to try it with both of the 256 MB sticks pulled, and then add one stick back at a time. make sure you enter your BIOS and save the changes after making each of the changes. You might also want to see if there is a BIOS update for your motherboard.
Collapse -
took a look
by ubrikkean / January 25, 2006 7:24 AM PST
In reply to: Info About Your System

yea, i already took a look at that... one thing though is that the crucial one tells me to use pc3200 instead of pc2700 when everywhere else (including inside my comp) tells me to use pc2700.. kinda annoying.. but i suppose it is backwards compatible. still no faster. anyway, im getting 2 dimms of 512mb, low density, one manufactured by crucial, one by lenovo (ibm). and by the way i did update the bios

Collapse -
You May Still Have Problems
by CG-TG / January 25, 2006 8:28 PM PST
In reply to: took a look

With the mismatched RAM, you might still have problems. I am guessing if they are both better RAM, you will be fine though. Sorry if I sounded a little rough on you. RAM is a very important part of your system, and it is the wrong place to go cheap.

Collapse -
thx for advice
by ubrikkean / January 26, 2006 7:13 AM PST

i really do thank you for the input; i still think that its not a question of "better" though, just of me reading the fine print. and as for going cheap, i always deal hunt, just something i always gotta do. and i too think that mismatched ram should work if only because the samsung ones that came with the computer arent completely standard for the type of computer and they work fine in any slots...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.