Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

RAM problem with Win XP Pro SP2

by dseago / April 6, 2005 5:14 AM PDT

I have installed 1 Gig of Ram (2 identical 512 Meg Kingston Value Ram 3200 DDR chips)in my Win XP Pro SP2 machine. It is AMD 64 bit 3000+ chip with NVidia 128 Meg video Ram. ASUS K8Ne Deluxe motherboard. The Bios recognizes the full Gig of Ram but Windows only recognizes 400 meg. How can I get it to recognize all the Ram? I have switched out the ram into another computer to make sure it works and I have switched it out of one ram bank into the others on the motherboard to make sure it worked. Both RAM chips are working properly. CPUZ also recognizes the full Gig of Ram. Any help would sure be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: RAM problem with Win XP Pro SP2
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: RAM problem with Win XP Pro SP2
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There is a setting...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2005 5:20 AM PDT

More than one place where you can limit the memory that XP will use. I run into this from time to time with persons that want to tweak Windows memory usage. Here's the usual limit settings.

1. "Table 28.18 lists optional parameters that you can append to the ARC paths contained in the [operating systems] section of the Boot.ini file. For example, the following optional parameters limit memory usage to 64 MB:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /MAXMEM=64"

More about BOOT.INI at http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmc_str_masc.asp and ... google.com

2. On the msconfig page choose Advanced and one of the items will be 'Limit memory use to...'. Set it to your choice.

Bob

Collapse -
Slots
by Crackmaster / April 6, 2005 6:01 AM PDT
In reply to: There is a setting...

There should also be instructions on which slots to use, if they have to be in pairs, and other things on your motherboard. I usually just use slot 1 and 2 if I have more than one stick of RAM and it has always worked. Your motherboard may be different.

Collapse -
Thanks
by dseago / April 6, 2005 11:05 PM PDT
In reply to: There is a setting...

I have asked this question in so many forums but you are the first person that has told me something that worked! Thanks a million! I do appreciate your help!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.