PC Hardware forum

General discussion

RAM problem

by soundproofskin / November 20, 2006 8:59 PM PST

Hi, I hope someone out there can help me with a problem I am having upgrading my computer with some extra ram.

The PC currently has two 512mb sticks and is running a bit slow, so I bought two 1gb sticks to help out. When I put them all in and turned the PC on, the machine seemed to be booting up (lights, fans and what not) but the monitor was staying asleep. I have tried the memory sticks in all manner of different combinations, as well as simply putting one of the new sticks in on its own, but with no luck. I suspected that the new memory must be dodgy, so I tried some memory from another PC which I knwo works, but the same problem occurred... am I overlooking something obvious here?

The old memory: 2x 512mb DDR400 Ram (both manufactured by Crucial)
The new memory: 2x 1gb DDR400 Ram (both manufactured by Samsung)
The motherboard: GA-K8N Pro-SLI

Hope I've given all the necessary info. Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance

Soundproof

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: RAM problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: RAM problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some insight
by Willy / November 20, 2006 10:56 PM PST
In reply to: RAM problem

Here is the support website for your mtrbd.:
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=1883&ProductName=GA-K8N%20Pro-SLI

Though(PC3300/DDR400), in mtrbd. does support 1gb. ram but doesn't offer if high or low densiity types. If you look at your ram modules, see if ram is populated on both sides or one. It just doesn't work, its incompatible for wahtever reason. Though you can fiddle with the bios area, use default or tweek it abit, save setting and try again. In that vein, you may need to install older ram even to get into bios, reset, save, then shutdown and install new ram. If none of this works, return ram. Then specifically ask for ram that suppose to work in your system. http://www.kingston.com or http://www.crucial.com offer far better offering that are 'suppose' to work in your system.
Last, you may have handled it wrong and caused 'static', ESD damage, ooops, it happens.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
What's the MB manual say about RAM configurations for your
by VAPCMD / November 20, 2006 11:11 PM PST
In reply to: RAM problem

motherboard ?

Using the latest BIOS ???

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?