General discussion

RAM memory question

I have an IBM 6862 300PL system running XP Pro P3 550 MHZ processor -there are 3 memory slots - 2 full with 128 MB memory strips- the total my system can run is 512MB- my question is....can I install a 256 MB strip or should I stick with 128's in all slots, will they work together?
Crucial says the memory is SDRAM PC133 (don't know if that makes a difference but thought I'd include it).

Thanks for any help.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: RAM memory question
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: RAM memory question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
RAM memory question

You can put whatever combination you want, 2 256's, all 3 128's or two 128 and one 256. If you bought one stick of 512mb that would work too.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks for the help!
- Collapse -
Read specs

IBM, is very generous with the specs of thier systems. Goto thier support website and using your model# and/or the decal sticker that shows all the info you need, probably on the back of system. That will give detailed info on what RAM you need. Using Crucial's webpage will supply also what they sell that's compatible. Keep in mind, if your system supports X-amount of ram any more beyond that is wasted, but in all likleyhood can support that RAM stick being there. However, IBM tends to be picky, so don't over do it, just buy the proper RAM. IF in fact SDRAM is required and *NOT* an ECC requirement, most local computer shops provide non-ECC SDRAM sticks.

enjoy Happy -----Willy

CNET Forums

Forum Info