Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

RAM issue -just added more but computer is still slow

by meg4ebay / December 21, 2008 1:37 AM PST

I just added RAM to my computer and it doesn't seem to be moving any faster than before. Perhaps even more slowly.
How can I better adjust my settings? I watch a lot of online tv shows via netflix etc.
Any help would be appreciated.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 2002 Service pack 3
Compaq Presario V5206 OM
Mobile AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3300+
1.99GHZ 992 MB of RAM

Total paging file size for all drives 1000MB
Processor scheduling -checked adjust for best performance of programs

Paging file size for Drive C: (custom option selected)
Initial Size 1000 MB Maximum Size 1152 MB

Total Paging file size for all drives
Minimum allowed 2 MB
Recommended 1485 MB
Currently allocated 1000 MB

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: RAM issue -just added more but computer is still slow
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: RAM issue -just added more but computer is still slow
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
See that Sempron?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2008 1:44 AM PST
Collapse -
Re:RAM issue
by meg4ebay / December 22, 2008 1:30 AM PST
In reply to: See that Sempron?

Thanks for the quick response.

Collapse -
have done same thing
by brlarson / December 22, 2008 2:05 AM PST

I have a similar computer and it started running slow about 1 year ago. I added more ram from 512 to 768 and it helped some what. Then about 8 months ago my original hard drive started acting up so I got a new one. That has helped significantly since the original drive was a 4200 rpm drive and the new one is 5200. also a new install of xp sped things up as well. I looked at a 7200 rpm drive but came the the conclusion that my system bus speed would limit my transfer speeds to about the capacity of a 5200 rpm drive so the extra speed of a 7200 drive was unnecessary.
What is you hard drive speed?

What is the size of the video card? mine is maxed out at 64 meg shared which limits the video capabilities of my system, though with the faster drive I can record mpeg video without any studering.

hope this helps!

Collapse -
Re:have done the same thing
by meg4ebay / December 22, 2008 2:34 AM PST
In reply to: have done same thing

How can I check the size of my video card? As to processor speed does 3300+ sound about right? Thanks for responding. People are really helpful on this site.

Collapse -
finding info
by brlarson / December 22, 2008 2:54 AM PST

to find the info on the hard drive go to the system page, then go to the device manager and select your disk drive, Google the name and model of the drive and you should find the specs for that drive.

For the video card, right click on your desktop and select Properties, then select the setting tab and click the advanced button. under the adapter tab is the info on the graphics card. the place to change the ram alloted to the video card is in the bios boot menu. (I can select from 32 or 64 meg).

What is your level of technical skills with computers?
Hope this helps!

Collapse -
Same ram?
by CascaLonginus / December 22, 2008 10:30 AM PST

Did you install the same exact ram that was already in your computer?
Example, if you had 1 stick of 512mb ram at 333mhz, did you install the same size and speed ram that was already in there.
since you have a mass produced computer, they use the speed of ram your motherboard supports, and if you tried to "upgrade" with different ram, and mixed it with the smaller, slower ram, that can cause problems.
Ideally you want to use the same exact ram, same manufacturer even.
If you did use same ram disregard this reply...

Collapse -
Re: RAM
by meg4ebay / December 26, 2008 12:14 AM PST
In reply to: Same ram?

Yes I installed the same type of RAM. I really appreciate your help though. I'll keep trying other things.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.