MacBooks forum

General discussion

RAM in old Macs

by LuckyS3V3N / January 1, 2010 11:54 AM PST

I own an older 12" 1.33Mhz iBook G4. Videos from the internet like YouTube are really choppy, even though the sound works fine. Will a RAM upgrade fix this problem? If so, how much can I add and what type will I need? Thanks for your help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: RAM in old Macs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: RAM in old Macs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Additional RAM
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 1, 2010 9:20 PM PST
In reply to: RAM in old Macs

can add a performance boost to your machine but Internet download speed is also a factor.
Hopefully you have broadband internet access, DSL or Cable.

This iBook has one memory slot and will take a maximum of 1GB of memory.
It has 512MB of non-removable memory and unless you have added memory already, that is probably the amount of RAM currently in this machine.
RAM type is Unbuffered NON-ECC DDR333 and a 1GB RAM module can be had for around $53 in the US.
That would take your RAM to 1.5GB (nice)

Check out www.crucial.com for further details

P

Collapse -
Thanks,
by LuckyS3V3N / January 2, 2010 2:11 AM PST
In reply to: Additional RAM

Thank you, I originally thought that 1 gig was the maximum RAM, not the maximum I could add. However, I still do not know what type of RAM I need. Your help is greatly appreciated, thanks again!

Collapse -
Go back and read my post,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 2, 2010 6:12 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks,

it not only contains exactly what RAM you need, but also tells you where you can get it.

P

Collapse -
Whoops!
by LuckyS3V3N / January 2, 2010 2:22 PM PST

Sorry, Thank you!

Collapse -
(NT) :-)
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 2, 2010 11:28 PM PST
In reply to: Whoops!
Collapse -
something that might be causing the problem
by rnauth1418 / January 5, 2010 2:17 AM PST
In reply to: RAM in old Macs

You should also check to see how many extensions you have installed in your browser. Firefox is notorious for getting bogged down by extension installations. Also, check to ensure that your plugins are updated. This can help a lot in video playback.

I have worked with several iBook G4's of similar spec and I have not faced that issue. This leads me to believe it is more of a software issue. If it has been a couple years since you last re-installed OSX, it might be a good idea to backup your data and do a clean reinstall...

Collapse -
I also noticed....
by LuckyS3V3N / January 5, 2010 6:00 AM PST

I DO use firefox for my browser. I don't know what a plug-in is however, and I received my laptop as a gift and hand-me-down, so I'm not sure if I can find the OS X disc. I saw in Time Magazine that firefox is second slowest, behind internet explorer and google's chrome being the fastest. Do you know why this is, or how I can install the newest version of the OS so I can run chrome? Thank you for your help!

Collapse -
A couple things
by rnauth1418 / January 5, 2010 10:29 PM PST
In reply to: I also noticed....

I think you meant to write that Time reported that Firefox was the second FASTEST browser instead of the second slowest.

To see what plugins and extensions you are running, in firefox, go to: Tools>pluggins, and disable anything you are not using. Do the same in the extensions tab and you should see a slight boost in the overall speed of the browser. (Albeit, not a significant boost)

The reason for the speed differences is due to the way that the browsers handle decompression of packets and encryption methods of web sites. It is a very technical and complicated reason, but at the end of the day the true test is speed. In this category Chrome is currently the fastest.

As for upgrading to chrome, currently google has only released a version for 10.5 and 10.6. So, unfortunately, that is what you would have to upgrade to. I say unfortunately because your machine, while meeting the specifications for running 10.5, will not do it fluidly. I would highly suggest AGAINST upgrading OS's for the increased browser speed. In fact, you may see a significant decrease in browser speed due to the increase in compute cycles needed to run the operating system (proportionately to your current OS, of course)

Overall your best bet is firefox. A fresh install of the OS would help to boost overall system performance significantly.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.