PC Hardware forum

General discussion

RAM heat

I am a little bit confused about RAM temperatures. I have been looking at other threads and it seems as if RAM temperatures do not matter. If this is true, why can't I just use ridiculous voltages and overclock my RAM like crazy? And why do RAM coolers exist? If RAM temp does matter, then what temps are safe and how do I know if I am reaching unsafe temps?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: RAM heat
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: RAM heat
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tolerances

In reply to: RAM heat

Of course ram temps matter. Its just the overall effect of the system that adds yet another heat source to the PC in general The whole system cooled and desired effect is to maintain a level where all can work well. Ram temps are very basic int. ones and when thought out, they generate within themselves and have only the surrounding cool air to help keep it cool. The process of using ram heatsinks is to better dissipate that heat build-up to the outside(PC case, then exhausted). While you can increase voltages, those are only done where it meets a happy medium the system can support. Once outside of those tolerances then either better cooling and/or overall quality of ram comes into play. Its pretty much like a race car, you can make it go faster but can you make the tires better to handle the curves, otherwise going faster isn't helping when you leave the track. The same result if you have lousy brakes that can't control the speeds reached.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
ok

In reply to: Tolerances

So what is it it that determines how much voltage you can pump into your RAM? If you use too much voltage will it damage your RAM or will the RAM just crash?

Collapse -
Limits are a terrible thing...but you have to live with them

In reply to: ok

RAM chips themselves have limits...no more/less
than x-amount of voltage, at no more than X-temperature.
The fact that they reside on a "stick" doesn't matter.
All chips have such limits. I suggest you google "ohms law"
as a starting point. It basically comes down to the
actual junction temperature of that micro-sized
transistor (tens of thousands of those there) in each
memory chip.

Answer to question - you WILL damage your RAM by
exceeding the design-limit voltage. And, possibly
your CPU since the CPU inputs are ALSO only designed
for input voltages within a certain range. And by
increasing the input voltage to the entire RAM stick,
you might then feed the CPU inputs much more voltage
than designed for. And, chances are your RAM voltage
buss is also tied directly to other components on
the MB.

And finally, after working for a "major supercomputer
maker" for 13 years, voltage doesn't mean speed.
All transistor junctions have a specified "slew rate",
meaning the rate at which they can switch from one
level to another. As I recall, our switch from a
logical 0 to a logical 1 was only about 1.8 volts.
If we had to switch 3.6 volts, it would take twice
as long, now wouldn't it?

So, it's not about voltage at all, really.

Don't try to apply more voltage to your RAM.

Collapse -
Limits

In reply to: ok

Those are the parameters of the specs tolerances. Once you exceed or overdrive the voltage too much, the immediate effect is to crash or not work reliably, the next step is worse, it will burnout or fry. The ram is sold to work at a certain level. Better ram can exceed that level up to a point. Once that point is reached, you have the option of exceeding it further and accept the failure rate will be high. That's the reason any so-called hi-end or quality ram is sold to certain levels will deliver at those levels, but usually if you exceed them you're at the mercy of what you have brought. If you access to so-called generic or basic ram, don't expect those to remain at some hi-level for long, they will falter sooner or later. There's nothing you can do as an end-user to improve ram capability other than providing good cooling. Since higher voltages are internal to the ram, you can easily overstep the tolerance and flat out ruin that ram, so be careful. Find a happy medium that maybe better than advertised levels and accept it.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
So why cool

In reply to: Limits

If voltage doesn't help increase the speed of the RAM, why cool your RAM? How does cooling your RAM allow you to reach greater speeds?

Collapse -
So why cool....

In reply to: So why cool

Your car engine doesn't get faster if you run
it hotter....so are you going to remove your
radiator ??? Your basic question has been answered.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.